• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solar Cycle 24 is dead to me ... how'd you do?

Cycle 24 - Your DX results

• Total voters
3000 miles/ 5000 kilometers...
it's a little skippish.

It's alive IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I have been out of my truck for the last three weeks driving another truck. Finally got back in my truck yesterday and back to my radio. I made several contacts to the northeast US from Houston, TX. Was nice to finally hear some great activity.

I don't use any of the sites like posted here for checking conditions, I just look at one dx-cluster site and it gives me everything that I need to know. Of course it's just for 11 meters primarily, but will also work for 10 m.
I have been using this cluster for the last 13 yrs now and it works just fine; but this is just for checking conditions outside N.America. For the N. America continent; I don't worry about checking for it.

DX has been crazy today. Especially from the northeast. I live in Houston and have been receiving and transmitting to people from coast to coast from my mobile all day. I even got someone from England for a few minutes on channel 19 before the band got crowded. The way he was coming in sounded very surreal. Wish I would have recorded it! Another local here couldn't hear him. It was the first time I have heard anyone from there in Texas. Modulation was low as those guys over there don't like the swing the way most do here in the states. I think I reached him, but some locals and static came in to say for sure.

Been making contacts with 30-50 watts to all over the west coast with my homemade dipole and my old Icom 746. No need for any amps here. Conditions are finally picking up a bit and I am hearing some old voices like 41 Ivan, 455 pirate radio and so on. Maybe this is a good sign. It's 19:15hrs and I can hear from Wyoming to Cali and some others as well across the west coast from here around Daytona Bch., FL.

Getting a lot of what you might call narrow, direct pipelines. Been getting a guy that goes by 440 in Massachusetts on channel 19 for the past two days. He hears me every time. Talked to a guy what goes by Black Knight for about 30 minutes out of Alberta Canada on channel 25 running a Kenwood. He heard us and we heard him like he was a local. It's been pretty much the same areas coming in strong with little fading.

I heard some foreign languages today that wasn't Spanish, not sure where they were at. Have to say these conditions took me by surprise.

Not really an amp when your radio does 100 watts, but then again I don't run a CB radio. Use an HF radio, Icom 746. In a way I guess you could say I have an amp but I can turn my power back to about 2 watts on SSB. I try to use the least amount of power possible. 10-50 watts is about what I will use at various times.

had some good conditions last night. was able to talk to an alabama base for almost 20 minutes driving down the I94 expressway a little after 9 on 40 lsb. most of the time it was like we were a less than a mile apart.

Some good dx for me lately. I've talked from Texas to Canada,Massachusetts,New York,Virginia,Washington state all with 60 watts from a mobile setup and many of these were some lengthy contacts. I even quickly hung a dipole just about 7 feet high and made solid contacts to Maine and New Jersey with just 12 watts.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Yes sir. The dx is coming back a bit. Enjoy it fellas cause it won't be long before it's gone for a bit!! Happy DX'ing to all!! As of Nov. 9th, I've made contact with several Europe stations. Most of US, and even AU as well. It's a cat and mouse game at times. Gotta be at the right place at the right time to catch it!! Just my exp. thus far since about the beginning of Oct. it's progressively gotten better as it normally does, but it's no where near like last year this time!! Anyway. Again, happy DX'ing to all.

The wife and I drove our truck from Colombia to Quito Ecuador over the weekend.. When we were in the mountains enroute, we hooked up with several stations in TX, FL, MS and GA on 27.385 LSB. Talked to a guy in Del Rio TX on CH 28 AM for a good 15 minutes. Hitting me with a solid 7. I guess driving along roads at 5000´elevation helps a lot.

Reactions: codeman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.