• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 955HP SSB - hitting stores this week

There have been hints that there is a new board that Ranger has been working on, smaller, SMT, one would suspect that they might be PC programmable, because it looks like that is where most new stuff is going.

Jeff

I have the AM/FM version. Great radio. Super small.

Quoting Brew from CBRadiomagazine:
"Color changing - the rotating display part I would never use, I don't need a lightshow, and some of the colors just aren't very usable, but there are two blues and a green that look quite nice and work well for night time. Additionally there is a hugely variable dimmer on this radio and so you can adjust the brightness down to whatever level you want or none at all".

I will say that my JVC deck in my truck will do the same thing, and I always set it to the non-demo mode. On my stereo though, the colors are infinitely adjustable. Which turns out to be really cool, as I can match it exactly to my dash lights (which are green). At night, you can program a more subtle display which is easier on the eyes. So those features of the rig look nice to me, but the whole thing all lit up like a Christmas tree turns me off. Maybe in your review you can set it on some dimmer settings so that we can see what it looks like in non-pimp mode?

And I still think it's too expensive!

RT307

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the price would be more reasonable. I guess my biggest complaint is that I don't care for all the toys it has I'm more a performance kinda guy. Just don't wanna have to pay for all the extra toys I don't care about or use. I've heard the 440 & 490 and they are audio monsters if this one performs well on ssb too I want one but will wait it out for a better price.

I prefer the look of the older black face models but it's nice to finally see a SSB model. Maybe if I seen pic's with all the different color options I would like it's look better.

The optional CTCSS tone module would be handy but I don't see where this radio has split frequency capability for repeater access.

The good features are the 6 digit frequency counter, 3 scale metering, and adjustable clarifier controls. I wonder what the PC programmable features are because that sounds interesting.

Working on getting the videos put together guys. Also did a video of the conversion process (involves removing a resistor..SMT).

So far I can say - performance wise the radio does very very well. Solid output, great stability, was spot on frequency out of the box, SSB audio is quite good - in fact with the stock microphone I'm finding it even a little punchier than my CRE 8900 with a Road Devil D104. Reports on SSB have said it sounds very good on the air.

Haven't played around with AM yet but I did do a SSB recording comparing it to my CRE 8900 on the air. As far as new stuff on the market both the CRE 8900 and Stryker 955 have impressed me so far with performance. Stryker has big AM swing whereas the CRE 8900 doesn't, but it has more options for the 10 meter crowd.

Stryker is lacking in functions and ease of use for 10 meter operation. If you're someone who talks a lot of 10 meters something like the 2950DX, 257, Optima or CRE 8900 is the ticket. The Stryker is more like the Magnum S-9 80 in that respect, it's a solid 11 meter/freeband radio that has more frequency stability and more options than the Magnum S9 80.

So again I go back to - it's performance so far isn't in question, I'm impressed. If you're a CB'er only, Trucker, Local who wants big AM and SSB sound this radio might be the ticket, if you're someone who leans more towards the 2950DX or similar because you talk a lot of 10 meters this one may not ring the bell for you.

I got the written review going but this weekend I'm going to work on getting the videos knocked out showing all the functions and giving the overview. I know there are already some videos on You Tube but hopefully I can add a point here or there.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
CBMAG very good video. still I find no reason with this new radio to replace any of my galaxy/ranger radio I currently own. oh well I wish them luck in selling them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.