• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Amp for 11 meters

QRN said:
I'm not touching this one. I speak a different language when it comes to amplifier output levels and exactly what modulators really are.
People think "modulators" are "loud amps with lots of swing". Someone needs to educate the masses and you speak the CORRECT language!

A REAL modulator in it's simplest form. Note it has separate RF and audio inputs ;)

basic_radio_hoag_Page_369-134.gif

:)
Also a "high-level" modulator. Meaning it feeds the RF generator from the 'high-voltage' side, not the 'low-voltage' side. With solid state stuff, not all that difficult a thing to do since there isn't a lot of 'high' voltage present, sort of, easier parts compatibility. With 'hollow-state' stuff, there will be some pretty 'hefty' voltages present and applying that AF can get tricky, not to mention dangerous, sort of (that 'golden screwdriver' better be insulated! :)).
Been a while since I've seen a schematic like that...long enough that I can't remember if it's a 'Colpits' or what. Oh well, who cares...
- 'Doc

The JB-2000 is a 11 meter mono band Heathkit SB-220. It runs a pair of 3-500Z tubes and is a good amplifier. Not great mind you, but a good ol amplifier. Its #2 on my list of amplifiers......right behind the Pride DX-300!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
that top-hat 220 looks good but after reading every response I think changing from the 6LQ6 sweep tube to the EL519 tube is more cost effective because I don't want to trash my Phantom. I found a source for the EL519 equivalent for $10 a tube. I need clarification on a few things now. I know the existing wire going to pin 3 would need to go to pin 9 and a jumper needs to be installed between pin 2 and pin 3. After those changes I'm not clear on what my next step should be. Biasing ??? Cap value changes ??? Something else ??? Anything else ??? Any suggestions ??? I'm sure that within the membership here the things I need to know to put the fire in the wire can be ascertained.

Wishing all a very happy gobble-gobble day and I'm sittin' back.

The unknown soldier in the keystone is marchin' on

3's

Get a Ameritron.I run a Al-1200 and when you get your ticket you are ready to go on the ham bands.Ameritrons are easy to convert to 10/11/12 meters.You will get a real 1800watts plus PEP on all bands and the most rugged tube made!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.