• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN 68XL SWINGING !!

DTB PM ME YOUR ADDRESS !!!! oh its still on, 1 of 2 things are gonna happen either im gonna prove a bunch of people wrong or im gonna eat a SHIT SANDWICH !!

JUST TO CLAIRFY !! im ordering a new uniden 68 today, when it arrives in 3 days, tuned up, tested on this end i will send it to DTB HE CAN PUT IT ON HIS BENCH AND DO A FULL TEST AND POST RESULTS IF IM WRONG AND FULL OF SHIT THEN HEY MY BAD,. IF IM RIGHT THEN LOL !!!!

if he does get it to do what he says i hope someone ordering a radio from him doesnt have to wait 3 months for him to even order the radio let alone do his mods to it .

BOOTY MONSTER said:
if he does get it to do what he says i hope someone ordering a radio from him doesnt have to wait 3 months for him to even order the radio let alone do his mods to it .
if he does do this and works great with nice clean audio
i wouldnt mind the wait.theres an old saying good things come
to those who wait

You guys are all twisted about a difference of 4-5 watts PEP?! PEP numbers don't mean much to me, RMS numbers are where its at. At those numbers, it is more than likely harmonic distortion anyway. :roll:

At those numbers, it is more than likely harmonic distortion anyway

Depends on what he did. It's not that difficult to get those radios doing real close to 50 watts with a pretty darn clean output. I've done several Cobra 29's (same basic thing) and people are alway surprised at the results. I'd like to see DTB's report...

i wonder if he takes ketchup with his sh!t sandwich.LOL

just kidding nightrider, have you sent the radio out yet?
inquiring minds want to know.
loosecannon

I been around CB's for two decades if there was a Cobra 29 that could do 50 watts it would be the selling like fire crackers on the forth of July :usa

ok, now I want to see this..I know it can be done by a few disc cap changes..but thats about where I am leaving this 8)
Switch Kit ,nice post a bit long finger winded, but it was well worth it ,in the long run

nightrider, I personally think this is a tactic to lure members to your site...:) :lol

most people just want to say ,yo my radio is doing this watts and modulation.
and then theres the other 80% that just talk on the rig
and are happy they are getting out stock or stock-moded (I am sure you know what that means!)
and there happy as hell..and don't pay attention to meters or modulation

In my world Braggers are raggers!!

meaning if your raging about someone making fun of your bragging,then there is something wrong here...this intends to bring that bragger to the front line to try to prove them self ..
this is all i am saying for now..
so now lets let the chewing begin!

Its possible to see 50 watts swing from a cobra 29... I've done one that did pretty close tom 50 watts with a SINGLE 1969 in it.
Of course...I did expect that some of those number were harmonics and some of it was reactance pushing the swing high. But the thing got close to 50 watts. Some techs can get the harmonics down quite a bit... but there will always be some there... theres no way to get rid of all of the harmonics with the circuit thats in the 29. There will always be some that gets through.

The problem with high power mods to these radios is power to the rf amp section..... all the power to the final comes in with the modulation from the audio IC.THe problem with this is you just can't draw alot of current through that circuit.... you can get some current peaks around 4 amps but anything constant is just not going to happen.

Another thing I had to acept with doing this mod is that some of the output power was reactance.
With my mods there had to be reactance inflating some of that swing.
So any of these type mods THAT I HAVE DONE absolutly had to have some amount of harmonics and reactance .
The current draw to the radio was in the right range... this makes me believe that there IS a good amount of that output power that is usefull RF.

But I do think this mod is possible... I have done it myself and if I would have put some time into developing it more .... its possible to get a pretty clean radio... I don't think 100% clean at those numbers is possible but I think you can get it pretty good. I just don't think its worthwhile for me to spend the time trying to pull an extra 5 or 6 watts peak out of a cobra.
. I do have a mod that will make a cobra 29 put out 25 to 30 watts CARRIER and swing to 50 watts... but I use an sd1446 to get that kind of power out and its a major job. Thats the only way I can get a worthwhile 50 watts out of a cobra 29. There are alot of guys that do a 50 watt cobra 29 alot of different ways.

DTB knows his stuff..... so does Justin...

I don't care what is done to a cobra 29, unless you can get at least half the peak average power for a carrier, IT IS NOT CLEAN! The formula doesn't change. And again 50 watts pep, so? What is it doing RMS? I've seen 8watts RMS from a radio with stock 2078 final, and that only did about 30 watts PEP, so surely at 50 watt pep radio should do about 14 watts RMS, right? I'd love to see 14 watts rms from a 1969 final. Also what is the meter used for the test makes alot of difference, it should be a Bird43 w/peak kit for real numbers, I think we all will agree many of the hack and wack cb shops use Dosy happy meters that generate alot of watts!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.