• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is a superwhack pack??

I didn't post analyzer photos in my original whackpack unveiled post because I'd done that under another post. The squared-off audio waveform contains lots of harmonics which are modulated into the carrier, generating a VERY wide sideband (100khz and more can be seen if you get really picky), along with lots of additional IMD as a result.

Other than "peaking" or getting a good microphone I tend to stay away from modifications and avoid radios that have been modified.You never know what some butcher has done to a radio until you see smoke signals or people tell you that you sound like s**t.You can always get an amp if you need to "get out" more.In some cases,a good antenna is all you need to be happy with your radio.That's my opinion but I'm old school. ;)

your right Greg , if it sounds like pooh pooh ,chances are you will find out very soon . Yeap ! a good antenna will go a long way dude. Just think , if these so called hacks and techs would just keep there cotten pick'in hands out of them in the first place , it might just be a even played cb field of event's , oh ,and on the subject of sounding like pooh pooh , just wish some of these guys new how to use there mic gains more often , to each his or her own I suppose , leave it not to me to blacklist list them now. Not my job. :)

Yes, the clipping can cause some unwanted harmonics (I was curious to see the bandwidth of the over-modulated signal). When I looked at that waveform (good ole flat-topping) it really spoke to me. I am used to seeing those waveforms on guitar effects processors.

Sorry I missed the other pics on the whack-a-mole mod. I will go back and try to find the other pics.

Thanks

freecell said:
overmodulated and distorted is more like it.

thats just the positve peaks. for the ones who haven't noticed, look carefully at the negative peaks. there are barely any negative peaks. the radio is serverely undermodulated when it comes to negative peaks. it also actually makes the radio sound 'softer' or 'quieter'. you don't need test equipment for this test. just move the offending part in and out of the circuit while talking/whistling. your ears will tell you instantly that the audio drops when you have the part in circuit.

this mod serves one purpose. to satisfy the wattmeter worshipers. with no negative peaks, the wattmeter does not properly 'average' the waveform and shows a higher amount of 'swing' on the dosy/astatic type meters. a bird43p is only slightly effected by this. it has no effect on a service monitor.

10-4. i didn't know you had already posted that.

there is one thing...if i am seeing the results, you are seeing the results, freecell is seeing the results, and many others are seeing the results, then why aren't the guys who are doing these mods seeing the results?

whack-a-mole mod

Hey! I didn't do it!! :p

For whoever it was that asked: I seem to remember the EEI turbo tune being just a plain ole NPC/RC mod, sometimes with the limiter clipeed DTB posted some pics of what the whackpack mod entailed somewhere....

DITTO GEEKSTER: MIGHT SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE RADIO IF YOUR A HARD CORE MODULATOR.

MY FIRST GALAXY 95T WAS PEAKED AND TUNED. ON AM, THE HEAT SHIELD ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIO WOULD HEAT UP LIKE CRAZY TIL I COULD BARELY TOUCH IT. THIS WAS @ HI POWER: DK WAS 50 SWING MAX 100+. DETUNED IT TO 10-15 WATTS DK, 100+ SWING. THEN IT COOLED DOWN.

SSB HAD NO PROBLEM CAUSE NO DEAD KEY.

IF I WAS TO PURCHASE ANOTHER 95T, I WOULD LEAVE IT AS IS, NO PEAK AND TUNE JUST 11M MOD.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.