• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your favorite SSB rig?

Alot of Ranger users in there! ;) Even though it was a CB forum... RCI Ranger makes Galaxy Radios to Galaxy's specs... And the Galaxy 959DX would be my CB SSB choice along with my Texas Ranger TR-696 SSB .... Very good audio out of that Base Station on SSB...

Bob's CB Tuned of 'Course...

straight cb's

1, president grant export with pb999 board, very stable, full bodied audio on ssb and the best ever rx on fm, good am, best rejection of any cb we had in the uk. ( its very crowded round here )

2, early model president jackson with audio and agc mods + add a couple of 15kc crystal filters, poor single conversion rx on am but one of if not the most sensitive rx from a cb, fm and ssb tx rocks on a good one.

3, cobra 148gtl dx/superstar 360fm, with pb010aa board, stable vco ( no warble or graininess on ssb ) great allround radio, this is the radio most of your exports look to be based on but the newer radios dont come close for selectivity or stability. ( superstar 3900 eat ya heart out )

digital readout cb's

1, rci 2950 ( american version ), with a few audio mods to widen tx/rx and a crystal filter for fm makes a big improvement, done right these can sound superb on ssb tx audio, this is the digital cb to have imho, you just need a good tech to let it breath a little.

2, emperor shogun/ts5010/alan9001, very similar circuit to lincoln but they always seem to sound better than the lincoln with a bit wider audio and a much better display, more sensitive rx than the late model lincolns, ( what i use in the car as i dont want my yaesu or icom twoced )

These classics in the order of personal preference:

Dak_X.jpg

Stoner_1.jpg

Midland_78-999.jpg

courier_centurion.jpg

FAVORITE CB RADIO

OK here we go...

FCC CB BASE=
Washington Base
Browning Golden Eagle
Tram D201

FCC CB MOBILE=
GrantXL
DX979
K40
Audiovox MCB-500 23ch-am (First Radio)

EXPORT BASE=
RCI2985DX

EXPORT MOBILE=
Cool Blue Magnum 257
HR2510

[/b]

thedirtmover said:
...after all a Cobra 2000 is an 8719 PLL with the same board as that Grant and Washington and 148.

Nope! The 2000, the 148, and the Grant are almost the same. The Washington has a single conversion receiver and is nothing like the 2000/148/Grant radios. But you were close. You got 3 out of 4!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.