• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X FORCE OR FAT BOY?

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
If there's another company that produces the kind of amplifier I am inquiring about please mention them. I want to purche a 117 for my home. Between 400 and 900 dead key. Definitely don't want to use a mobile for my home station and want a low drive. I don't want too have to use another smaller amp to drive it. I don't run exports or any rigs that are higher than 5 watts. I could spend between $500 and $1000. I hope if you recommend something you own it or are very familiar with IT. It Must have hi low, medium would be nice, not nesessery. Pre amp not nesessery but, would like it to have one. Keeping audio clean is a must. Im of the school that say good in good out but I suspect some amps can make the nicest cleanest audio sound like your gurgling with razor blades, don't want one of those. been checking crossyourfingrtsbay and saw a few nice ones but scared of buying used. I may concider a used one but I've got the cake for a new one, used is not outta the question but really wanna go new. Thanks brother's

I would go with x-force. Have heard about a lot of QC issues with the newer fat boy Amps. Let me ask why you need so much power? Is this for am or SSB use? I have found that the most I ever need for SSB is a 2 pill, and that's in the mobile. On the base 50-100 watts gets me out just fine. What antenna and coax are you running? I finally Saw the light and got a new antenna and it is a world a differnece!! Just some food for thought. But as far as the 2 Amps listed, I would look at the x-force or even better a Davemade! JMO, God bless.

Reactions: Crusher
I would go with x-force. Have heard about a lot of QC issues with the newer fat boy Amps. Let me ask why you need so much power? Is this for am or SSB use? I have found that the most I ever need for SSB is a 2 pill, and that's in the mobile. On the base 50-100 watts gets me out just fine. What antenna and coax are you running? I finally Saw the light and got a new antenna and it is a world a differnece!! Just some food for thought. But as far as the 2 Amps listed, I would look at the x-force or even better a Davemade! JMO, God bless.
Solarcon a99, in the clearing of my back yard. My receive is quite well considering im only about 8 ft of the ground. I do have been an am omly for my whole cb hobby life but, have been doing ssb as of late and I wish I would have started long ago as im enjoying it tremendously. I want to go with 400-800 so there's no need to have to ever upgrade. so many people start small then have a need to go larger. I will not have a need to go bigger. Got it! Does dave made still make them these days? Thanks

I've run 145 ft of LMR TIMES 400, THE REAL THING made in the good old usa. Myself a99 works excellent for the situation im in. I've a brand new roof and siding, not willing to put screws anywhere into my housed exterior. I own several amps that are tubed and need to be warmed up, not feeling it any more. I also own a Palomar 500 elite which I enjoyed until it took a dummy. Wow! I've never ask a question and I've asked 100's, that brought out hatters. :thanks for the advice i wi) concider it. NOT!OTE="crappykraco, post: 499046, member: 42325"]I'd be getting an antenna, best coax I could afford and a rotor if I had that kind of budget. Add a small amp and do lots of talking.[/QUOTE]
I'd be getting an antenna, best coax I could afford and a rotor if I had that kind of budget. Add a small amp and do lots of talking.
Ive

Didn't mean to get crazy. I'm just a little tired. I think it time to hit the hay. Thanks crappy kracoOTE="crappykraco, post: 499050, member: 42325"]Not hating.

Carry on.[/QUOTE]
Did

Yeah the a99 is an okay starter antenna as I found out. It doesn't take a bunch of power, 100 watts will work plenty with a good antenna! I had to see the light myself. My antenna is not very high either at 20ft to the base, but it out performs the A99 I had up by a long shot. I got the sirio tornado and love it. it was easy to put together and with the supplied instructions I was able to mark the antenna, put it together and put it up, vswr readings across the cb band are 1.15-1.1, I have it setup for talking on the higher frequencies. But if it were me I would get an antenna first then if needed an amp. And yes Dave made builds great Amps. Just make sure to have it setup for Ssb use, have them install the necessary components for ssb operation. But like I said I would try a better antenna and get it up as high as possible. I am planning on going 10-20ft higher with mine but for now it works well at 20ft to the base. Locally I have talked out to about 100 miles and dxing has been a pleasure as well. Others have said it and now I will. Antenna, antenna, antenna! God bless and good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: camaro1
If you are serious about going down this road, forget about 12 volt transistor amps and look for a "good"( read big and expensive) used Ham amp, you will save yourself a lot of headaches in the end, and have a amp that is cleaner, much more reliable, and something you can grow into as your hobby interest grow.
Asking for a 900 watt dead key on AM is a big request, to properly modulate a amp this big on AM will require something that is capable of at least 4,000 watts of total output.
This is not going to be a 12 volt transistor amp, or one with sweep tubes.
$1000 is going to come up real short to achieve what you are looking for.
And something that will do this and still sound clean on the air is an even bigger task.
You are now talking about a large ceramic tube, and a power supply to feed it.
Quality built stuff in this category will not come cheap.

Jeff

Thanks audio shockwave. I always take your advice as if it were coming from nickala tesla himself. What do you suggest i look forl? I have a good idea of what type of amp your talking about but, just so there's no misunderstanding, what's your idea on what I should be looking for? QUOTE="AudioShockwav, post: 499096, member: 6"]If you are serious about going down this road, forget about 12 volt transistor amps and look for a "good"( read big and expensive) used Ham amp, you will save yourself a lot of headaches in the end, and have a amp that is cleaner, much more reliable, and something you can grow into as your hobby interest grow.
Asking for a 900 watt dead key on AM is a big request, to properly modulate a amp this big on AM will require something that is capable of at least 4,000 watts of total output.
And something that will do this and still sound clean on the air is an even bigger task.

Jeff[/QUOTE]
T

Yeah the a99 is an okay starter antenna as I found out. It doesn't take a bunch of power, 100 watts will work plenty with a good antenna! I had to see the light myself. My antenna is not very high either at 20ft to the base, but it out performs the A99 I had up by a long shot. I got the sirio tornado and love it. it was easy to put together and with the supplied instructions I was able to mark the antenna, put it together and put it up, vswr readings across the cb band are 1.15-1.1, I have it setup for talking on the higher frequencies. But if it were me I would get an antenna first then if needed an amp. And yes Dave made builds great Amps. Just make sure to have it setup for Ssb use, have them install the necessary components for ssb operation. But like I said I would try a better antenna and get it up as high as possible. I am planning on going 10-20ft higher with mine but for now it works well at 20ft to the base. Locally I have talked out to about 100 miles and dxing has been a pleasure as well. Others have said it and now I will. Antenna, antenna, antenna! God bless and good luck with whatever you decide.
I did plenty

I
100W into a Moxon beam even at 20ft will get you all the way around the world this time of year.
I stated my antenna situation. I'm lucky I have the a99 up. I make contacts to England, whales, Germany, Ireland , isle of man to mention a few and i found that if I hear them thay hear me. I'm not talking 1 s unit when I qsl skip I hold long conversations that sometimes last an hour with multiple stations at once. It's almost as if we were a bunch of locals. Why would anyone need a beam and a 100 watts to shoot skip? I shoot skip with 5 watts am an 12 watts ssb off my dipole and it's strung up vertically. maybe I will put a rotor on my s99. Do you think that will help me get out better? LOL HA HA!!

I

I stated my antenna situation. I'm lucky I have the a99 up. I make contacts to England, whales, Germany, Ireland , isle of man to mention a few and i found that if I hear them thay hear me. I'm not talking 1 s unit when I qsl skip I hold long conversations that sometimes last an hour with multiple stations at once. It's almost as if we were a bunch of locals. Why would anyone need a beam and a 100 watts to shoot skip? I shoot skip with 5 watts am an 12 watts ssb off my dipole and it's strung up vertically. maybe I will put a rotor on my s99. Do you think that will help me get out better? LOL HA HA!!

You really are a moron.

Jeff

900 watts of AM carrier would require about 3600 watts of peak power in order to be operated properly. NOT a small requirement at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.