• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X FORCE OR FAT BOY?

You would have to look for a amp with real transmitting tubes in it.
a couple of 3-500z tubes will get you kind of "close".
a 3cx3000 ceramic or something along these lines will do what you want and not break a sweat, but look at what they cost.
There are some 48 volt devices that will make a lot of watts, but you need a 48 volt power supply to do it and someone to build it and the amp for you.

You would be money ahead to buy a tower, a big yagi and a rotor by the time you get done with it.
AM is hard on amplifiers when you are asking for a KW carrier.

Jeff

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
100W into a Moxon beam even at 20ft will get you all the way around the world this time of year.

You really have a hard-on for the Moxon don't you? :) Are you sure you don't get paid every time you convince someone to make one? :ROFLMAO: It must be loyalty to a fellow Brit G6XN. I understand they are quite popular over there as most places have a small area to erect antennas. Better that an omni I suppose but nothing beats long booms and lots of elements. :D

Reactions: wavrider and binrat
900 watts of AM carrier would require about 3600 watts of peak power in order to be operated properly. NOT a small requirement at all.
Thanks captain. Audio shockwaves set me straight on that . What I really wanted to request in my first post was an amp.that peaked at 400- 900 but instead of correcting my question I let it stand so that I could gain knowledge about why that wasn't feasible. Just like audio shockwave, you to a wwdx friend who's advice and posts I often read in order to lean. I know when it's posted by you it can be taken to the bank. as a matter of fact when I ask a question I'm always hopping that many will answer but, am always glad when shockwaves or yourself whaight in. Thanks. Thanks for everything.

So YOUR A99 is 8' off the ground?

You want an amplifier ( splatter box) that will dead key 900 watts?

Then if you operate your station like you install an antenna the amplifier will swing backwards???

Do your neighbors and yourself a favor, operate mobile with that 900 watt splatter box you want.

With your antenna at 8' to the feed point you will be the source of so much tvi and rfi.

OR MAYBE JUST MAYBE take the time to educate yourself and what a radio station REALLY is and find out what is the single most important part of your radio station.

IT IS THE ANTENNA!!!!!!!!!!!

It transmits your signal and also receives.

YES YOU can talk "SKIP" off of a wet noodle right now, nothing to do with an antenna it is a solar cycle.

Something you can google and study so YOU understand why your A99 at 8, is talking to Europe without an ROTOR.

YOU my 11 meter wanna be splatter box operator friend have a lot to learn.

Start with some standard operating principles. then Study antenna theory.

THEN decide if you need an amplifier.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/linearamp.html

READ the above article, it is all FACTS not hearsay.

Many have posted here giving sound advice and you have replied with off color remarks and straight out being rude, IMO.

If you going to ask a question that you really want an answer to based on sound operating procedures and REAL theory then be prepared for the answer.

[QUOTE why is everyone so hostile today? Calm down! It was just a question and the reason my antenna is 13' not 9' off the ground is because that's the only way I could've done it. It was that or my dipole, which wasn't any h ighter . Sometimes something is better than nothing. For now I'm happy with my station set up. If I get any more compliments on how excellent the audio is on my fs2340 and my Madison, im gonna get sick. My station doesn't splatter. It never hss and never will. If I happen to purchase or use something else I already own and it sounds like shit, I will disconnect it and put it back in the basement. I can't believe all the wacky people that a single question brought out. Calm down, it was only a question. Was it an ignorant question? Maybe so but how does one learn without asking questions? I think these people need to get laid more than the once a year thay do . Get yourself a girl and try your best to expand your horizons beyond a signal interest. That way a question when asked by a total stranger doesn't lead you to the brink of a nervous breakdown. Good luck with the girl/wife thing, I've a feeling your gonna need it."wavrider, post: 499139, member: 9893"]So YOUR A99 is 8' off the ground?

You want an amplifier ( splatter box) that will dead key 900 watts?

Then if you operate your station like you install an antenna the amplifier will swing backwards???

Do your neighbors and yourself a favor, operate mobile with that 900 watt splatter box you want.

With your antenna at 8' to the feed point you will be the source of so much tvi and rfi.

OR MAYBE JUST MAYBE take the time to educate yourself and what a radio station REALLY is and find out what is the single most important part of your radio station.

IT IS THE ANTENNA!!!!!!!!!!!

It transmits your signal and also receives.

YES YOU can talk "SKIP" off of a wet noodle right now, nothing to do with an antenna it is a solar cycle.

Something you can google and study so YOU understand why your A99 at 8, is talking to Europe without an ROTOR.

YOU my 11 meter wanna be splatter box operator friend have a lot to learn.

Start with some standard operating principles. then Study antenna theory.

THEN decide if you need an amplifier.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/linearamp.html

READ the above article, it is all FACTS not hearsay.

Many have posted here giving sound advice and you have replied with off color remarks and straight out being rude, IMO.

If you going to ask a question that you really want an answer to based on sound operating procedures and REAL theory then be prepared for the answer.[/QUOTE]
Why I

Totally agree binrat. I am now a very happy camper new antenna And Now new radio, icom 746 in the house!!!

Thanks binrat. The a a99 was recently put up. I'm gonna leave it up until spring time I have intentions of replacing it with a 3/4 wave. Wheather it will be made of a metal or fiberglass, I don't know but, I must say this for the a99, at omly 13' off the ground It not only works but works well. Unfortunately when the 3 1/4 goes up it will most likely be on the same 3 5' mast's. Granted having a pre amp helps a bunch. I wss using a Palomar 500 elite but I was over driving it with 5watts and although it worked for a while it eventually took a dunmp. Fortunately I had another. It's branded as a shooting star but, its exactly the same amp. I dropped the Madison's dead key down to 2 1/2 on am and about 6-7 on ssb. my locals are shocked by the performance of the set up. Most are younger and even the old timers aren't familiar with the Madison. I myself am totally impressed with the recive of this uniden. If I would have known how this rig performs I would have purchased the president Madison back when I was cb nuts, 1978. I have a phantom and will be bringing to a local tec on Thursday. He's gonna replace all the capacitors, check and change out any rubes that aren't atleast 75 %. and will change anything else out of spec. The shooting star actually works very well and after using the phantom for a few hours over about a month I may put it up for sale as I dont have the real estate needed for it. After that I will have him do the same to a smaller dna I own. I may keep and use that one on a regular basis.the thing that makes the shooting star so appealing to me is the fact there's no warning up time and doesn't need to be tuned up. Ill see what happens but, for now I'm totally content. I wish my antenna was on my roof but it's either where it is now or it's no where. HOA,you kknow what I mean? for now it's all good
I would say I would do the following:
1. Replace the A-99 with an alum antenna (I have never had good luck with power and A-99s)
2. Buy a HF amp like the ALS-600 that runs off of its own power supply (48 volts) review here http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/603
3. if you can go higher then go higher, if not then so be it/

OTE="binrat, post: 499150, member: 8181"]I would say I would do the following:
1. Replace the A-99 with an alum antenna (I have never had good luck with power and A-99s)
2. Buy a HF amp like the ALS-600 that runs off of its own power supply (48 volts) review here http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/603
3. if you can go higher then go higher, if not then so be it/[/QUOTE]
I j
Th

I'll go on record that an A99 will NOT handle that kind of AM output. At 900W carrier, you'll smoke that A99 in short order. That antenna is not designed to handle the kind of output you are seeking. Get a GOOD antenna, and an amp that will do about 500W peak and you'll be amazing.

~Cheers~

[QThanks shock wave but im over the idea of purchasing any new amps. Im gonna stick with what I have. Im also gonna get a few old sweep tube amplifiers brought up to spec. One is the dna phantom, do you think this anp is to much for the a99? I dont recall but i thin i used to run it with a sonar f23 at 2 1/2 watts. Im fairly sure i used to get aroun 400-500 out of the phantom. The a99 should be sble to hadle thar, no?UOTE="ExitThirteen, post: 499173, member: 6878"]I'll go on record that an A99 will NOT handle that kind of AM output. At 900W carrier, you'll smoke that A99 in short order. That antenna is not designed to handle the kind of output you are seeking. Get a GOOD antenna, and an amp that will do about 500W peak and you'll be amazing.

~Cheers~[/QUOTE]

You're fine with 500W out on an A99. When you're talking 900W deadkey out on AM, that's the kind of output that would cause the A99 to fail. So if you have 500W, you should be ok with that.

~Cheers~

[QUOitThirteen, post: 499189, member: 6878"]You're fine with 500W out on an A99. When you're talking 900W deadkey out on AM, that's the kind of output that would cause the A99 to fail. So if you have 500W, you should be ok with that.

~Cheers~[/QUOTE]
Nah shockwaves in my original post I actually wanted to ask about one of those new 117 base amplifiers that would give me pep of 4-9 but I DiD say dead key. Im actually glad I didn't correct the post as I now know how insane someone is if thay say there getting a kw dead key on 11 meters with 6-30kd6's I've seen a few YouTube videos of cb radios dead keying a kw. I always thought It was smoke and mirrors. im using the shooting star, getting 250 on hight upwards to about 380 driving with 2 1/2. Great audio reports nice 2-3 s unit gAin compared to the dipole ,except now with the a99. I suspect that eventhough my swr was just slightly highter with the dipole there may have been a problem with it. Concidering the huge gain. Not only gained 2 db on transmittt, I'm now hearing stations I couldn't hear with the dipole at all and im hearing them wonderfully and my skip which I hardly tryed with the dipole, simply because no one ever got back to m. Is now a one cqdx shout and so many European stations get dak to me at once it on big hetrodine. I'm a happy chicken bander. Thanks

If the dipole was less than 18 feet agl. Then it was basically an omni. Radiating antenna.

The a99. Will outperform it at 8 or 13 feet agl.
If you are using 200 watts it will take an increase to. 800. Watts for one s unit on the receive sid

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.