• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

I think there must be some confusion with some about the Optima and the Magnum 257 radio - just because they look the same on the outside. The Optima uses two IRF-520's instead of the EKL brand ERF-2030's in the final stage if I'm not mistaken. I imagine that someone could add a RFX-75 to the Optima. The RFX is made by Magnum/EKL - both are part of the parent company - RF Limited. Optima is NOT a part of RF Limited. They look the same; but have two different companies issuing these radios.

rx75 on the optima

Hi Rob,
it could be done but the PA stage on the Optima is quite a bit different to the 257 so it would not be a simple bolt on option. But if we added a suitable cooling option it might be viable. had not considered going down that route....

Dave I like your thinking about keeping the heat out of the radio. Make a radio do between 5 and 30 watts is a great idea very workable with many kind of amps. Radio cooling has to be formost important for the radio to have a long life. In the other forums you can see all the issues the 257HP versions are having, I haven't read any negitive about the Optima.

I think there must be some confusion with some about the Optima and the Magnum 257 radio - just because they look the same on the outside. The Optima uses two IRF-520's instead of the EKL brand ERF-2030's in the final stage if I'm not mistaken. I imagine that someone could add a RFX-75 to the Optima. The RFX is made by Magnum/EKL - both are part of the parent company - RF Limited. Optima is NOT a part of RF Limited. They look the same; but have two different companies issuing these radios.

i see no confusion in as simple a question as 'any thought of bumping up the output'. i know all about the 257, old, new, RS version, albrecht, dragon, landmatic etc etc etc. i've read quite a bit about the optima, understand its differences & was curious as to if a power increase had ever been pondered. the solution dave suggests is not an option in the situation i'm looking to deal with. even a smaller amp is not an option (or like the 357/457 versions). 100 watts or even 80 would make this radio as close to perfect as possible. there is no room for an amp on my boat, the added RF of a dx500 is nothing i need to deal with in this situation, salt contamination of the radio is enough of an issue, i can't deal with it in a second piece of equipment, yada yada yada.
no confusion. asked a question. got an answer....from the person who knew the answer.

Here is what you do. Stick/glue/bolt a kl203 to the top of the radio (with a fan, drive the fan off the optima fan leads) and turn the radio down to 20w max. Easy 120-150 watts for you at a good price.

thanks dave. i've got several options equivalent to that.....was looking for 1 piece due mainly to space limitations. salt water in 1 piece is easier to deal with then 2.

thanks dave. i've got several options equivalent to that.....was looking for 1 piece due mainly to space limitations. salt water in 1 piece is easier to deal with then 2.

There are options for marine radio enclosures.
Pyle is just one.

Perhaps there is something out there that would work for you.

I have a saltwater boat and do understand how salt creeps into everything.
Good luck

Wm.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 164
i am essentially due south of you, onawhim, south shore of that island. i know about that piece from pyle. had 1 from another company....worked so-so. my 502ci powered donzi sweet 16 was a WET ride. that box did NOT keep the water out of my alpine! have a superboat right now, anticipate it being just as wet & wild, but wanna put a radio in to play with while i'm docked. my issue with too large of an amp is outboards & solar charger, hence the search for 100-150 out on ssb, 10/11m.
on the other hand, when i'm sitting there watching the bikinis roll in 1 after another, there probably won't be much radio time anyway ;-)

i am essentially due south of you, onawhim, south shore of that island. i know about that piece from pyle. had 1 from another company....worked so-so. my 502ci powered donzi sweet 16 was a WET ride. that box did NOT keep the water out of my alpine! have a superboat right now, anticipate it being just as wet & wild, but wanna put a radio in to play with while i'm docked. my issue with too large of an amp is outboards & solar charger, hence the search for 100-150 out on ssb, 10/11m.
on the other hand, when i'm sitting there watching the bikinis roll in 1 after another, there probably won't be much radio time anyway ;-)

Ha! There is nothing that's gonna keep the salt spray off that boat!

I live just off the Thames river and play around Fishers Island and The Race, Gardner Island, Greenport. Sometimes I make it out to Montauk.

Never been to the south shore.
I would imagine it can get pretty rough down there.

Enjoy, we're just a month or two away...

(y)Well after all this hooting and holaring I have been doing, got my Optima this week. I have to say I am A+++++ Happy with it's operation. It is so much more than a 257 and it has been working all week, how about that?? Already ordered the IC 36 mic jap version but after a little moding of the stock mic the locals say it sound pretty good on SSB and booms on FM. I am sure glad I got one, now I can sell all the 257's I have hanging around sure don't need them anymore. I'll keep that SuperStar 4800 just cuz it is in the mobile and works good hot or cold. Time for a few Ebay sales. Thanks Dave for such a GREAT RADIO, you sure listened to all the buyers to make the first version even better. Congrats on a fabulous radio

Reactions: 1 person
Heard so many good things about the Yenticom Optima I bought one. I guess mine is the second version, works great, a very good all around radio. Now I am chomping at the bit to get one of Yenticom's Huracan radios. Time for the rest of this stuff sitting here to find a new home. Dave at Yenticom listened to the buyers, made a few upgrades to a look a like radio, had it produced in a better factory with good quality control and it sure is worth the extra money. Nice to have a really good working radio without having to tune or align it. Came working great, no need to mess with the seals on the sides.:LOL:

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.