• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

That was my thinking really, how much better is it than a 257HP that sells here for 200 to 210 brand new in the box and will do 70 to 80 watts, the Yenticom is a lot more money and does it really do anything the 257 doesn't?

I had a Yeticom, When they first came out. ( I still kick myself for selling it ) The Yeticom has a few more options that the 257hp does, And yes the Yeticom does 50 watts veriable in which you can hook up a nice Linear to it. My choice is the Yeticom. This does remind me, I need to buy another and set it up for Base along with a nice tube amp. Hmmmm, My mind is fianally working again.

not to burst anybodys bubble, if the same company that makes the 257 is making them I would hold off for awhile. Seems a lot of new model 257HP's with the talk back and echo are having issues, and I mean I have not heard anybody have ONE that has worked right yet. 3 of my radio locals and myself have bought one and none of them are on the air right now, mine is back for it's second warranty repair in 2 weeks and my close friend has not had his for more than 24 hours in 2 weeks all of them with issues so buyer beware. Go spend your money on an old Cobra 148 or Grant XL side mic, they always work

not to burst anybodys bubble, if the same company that makes the 257 is making them I would hold off for awhile. Seems a lot of new model 257HP's with the talk back and echo are having issues, and I mean I have not heard anybody have ONE that has worked right yet. 3 of my radio locals and myself have bought one and none of them are on the air right now, mine is back for it's second warranty repair in 2 weeks and my close friend has not had his for more than 24 hours in 2 weeks all of them with issues so buyer beware. Go spend your money on an old Cobra 148 or Grant XL side mic, they always work

It's not the same company, these radios are made from Goodwill telecom in china Goodwill Telecom Engrg Co Ltd - AM / FM / SSB all mode cb, 10m HAM, int'l / us / can vhf marine

so your going to tell me the same looking same operating radio are made by different companys? I would love to think that way but sorry not me. Lets see how the new Yenticoms operate when delivered

so your going to tell me the same looking same operating radio are made by different companys? I would love to think that way but sorry not me. Lets see how the new Yenticoms operate when delivered

They have been out for a while now, I think that dave was stating that the testers are of the new production run. If you want more info about the optima shoot Dave an email from the yeticom website. The optima uses the same chassis as the 257 but has a totally redesigned circuit, not to mention a narrow if filter. Also have a chat to the guys on the Alfa tango forum, they love them. I have never read a bad review yet

Optima

Just to clarify:

The Optima may look similar from the outside but it is :

A Not made by the same company or country.
B Not using the same processor
C Not using the same PA stage
D Not using the same circuit board
E Has two IRF520 in the final with a fan.
F Has 5khz steps (not 10khz) default.
G It does however share most of the functions; 5 memories/step/scan etc

The reason we test thoroughly each production run is to prevent problems that are occurring with some other radios today. We stick it to the maker and if we identify any problems they have to be corrected. The manufacturer knows how we feel about this and makes sure we don't have any problems.

The factory that makes the 257's and S-45's is in the philipines. They also produce the Albrecht's, and Dragons that look similar. The Optima factory is in China. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Happy New year,
Dave
YeticomNZ

so your going to tell me the same looking same operating radio are made by different companys?

Yes, it is often the case, the chassis, face plate layout and covers have become a stock Item used by many Mfgs, with your own Name silk screened on them.
If you have the coins to place a Min order you can have it built the way you want with the Tucker 442HP-DX model on the face plate.
YeticomNZ ( Dave) has been working with the company for a while now building a nice little radio with some very usable features.
The Jopix Itaca Radio is a good example, although the radios look the same, the magnums are assembled in the Philipines and the Jopix is made in china by a different company.
This has been the case for a long time now. The same face plate layout and chassis is used in many different Brands.

Jeff

Well Thank You for the info, I have to say I am really fed up with the last 2 new radios I have bought so I might as well give Yenticom a try, New Magnum 257hp is at the factory repair for the second time in 3 weeks, RCI 2970N2 is going back for the second time in 3 weeks, if it wasn't for a Magnum S9 I would have to use a SuperStar 4800 for a base radio

Well Thank You for the info, I have to say I am really fed up with the last 2 new radios I have bought so I might as well give Yenticom a try, New Magnum 257hp is at the factory repair for the second time in 3 weeks, RCI 2970N2 is going back for the second time in 3 weeks, if it wasn't for a Magnum S9 I would have to use a SuperStar 4800 for a base radio

Hey Tucker you seem to be burning through a lot of radios, are you sure that there is no problem with your setup?. Do you have access to an antenna analyzer to check what is going on with your feed line and antenna?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.