• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

NO BS

I don't work for the company or anything like that but let me just say after using the Optima for 2 weeks I am amazied how much better it is than a 257, which, until now, was one of my favorite radios. I have already sold all 257's I had around here except for the one in my mobile which I will replace with an Optima when the Huracan is here. I use an S9 for a base radio, if Dave and Yenticom do to Huracan like they did with the Optima, you be rest assured my favorite S9 will go down the road too. It seems Dave and his company take a known good radio and design, make improvements, use a better manfacturing facility with better quailty, change and tweek things that real radio operators would like and market it with quality and stasfaction in mind. I can't wait for a Huracan to be here, I can only imagine what it might be like.

OPTIMA MKII

OK so here,s my take on the optima MKII . I normally use this forum and other,s to read reviews on new radios that are either on the market or soon to be . Well after reading all the rave reviews I decided to pull the trigger and purchase three units from Dave at yeticom . The radio,s arrived perfectly pack and did not take as long as I had thought considering they are shipped from HongKong . Out of the three radios I found a problem with (one) the VFO/switch. As I started to turn the VFO the radio would go into a scanning frenzy The only way to stop it from scanning would be to push the PTT . I contacted Dave and explained the problem in which he contacts Goodwill and has the radio shipped back for repair at there expense . Now for the good . Compared to the 257 this radio well run circles around it . The receiver alone is by far way better . The knobs don,t wiggle up and down/side to side like the 257 they feel tight . The IF filter works great just be ready to pump up the volume a bit so you can hear the radio . I had read somewhere that this radio can be considered a AM machine . The radio sounds real good on AM but it lacks that loud audio some AM Operator like . SSB/FM are off the wall fantastic . All in all I am quite happy with these radios just waiting to see what happen,s with the unit I had to send back . Thanks Roberto KC2IHD (I will keep everyone informed of any new issue,s/problems)

Last edited:
The $375 price tag scares me.

Since the website is lame, I couldn't determine if this price includes shipping (which I highly doubt). Are the extra features that have been so lovingly described by current owners actually worth the cost?

I am not your typical tight-assed HAM, but I'm not about to shell out that kind of cash on an export.

Edit: I guess the price does include shipping. If it was shipped via UPS Worldwide Express, I might consider it.

Last edited:
M42Duster the shipping is an issue that's why it's that high, the paperwork I got said it cost the Yenticom guys 51 bucks to send it so really the radio was 325 and well worth it over a 257. Ya know if it didn't sell it might be cheaper or if it was a junk but this radio is head and shoulder above a 257 so the price if anything might go up. So if your serious I wouldn't wait too long, just my 2 cents

The $375 price tag scares me.

Since the website is lame, I couldn't determine if this price includes shipping (which I highly doubt). Are the extra features that have been so lovingly described by current owners actually worth the cost?

I am not your typical tight-assed HAM, but I'm not about to shell out that kind of cash on an export.

Edit: I guess the price does include shipping. If it was shipped via UPS Worldwide Express, I might consider it.

I made a SERIOUS Mistake, I ordered the First Version of the Yeticom Optima, And i traded it off and bought a RCI-2950dx ( i had a few of the RCI line ) So I just purchased the New Version of the Yeticom Optima MK2 The Radio is on it's way. 375.00 includes Shipping via UPS. I will tell you this, MY new Optima will be with me for a very long time. Dave is a Great Person to deal with. I was STUPID to trade my First optima away. I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!!!! M4Duster, you do what makes you feel better. But I will always do Business with Dave at Yeticom again. JMHO.

M42Duster guess you have been in hiding for a few years, here in the Good Old USA seems greedy asses would distribute this radio for more money than the 375 then take the money and run. Yes sellers from other countires might do the same but it seems as far as business goes there are a lot more greedy people here, just my 2 cents, why would one guy sell lets say a Magnum S9 for 299.99 and another sell the exact same radio for 339.99. Why would some radio shop not sell me a new S9 without doing his 30 dollar align and tune? Greed, that's what, one day they will get what they have coming. Hope they choke on that 30 bucks they robbed from me

I ain't been hiding.

Simple fact, if there were more demand to justify the increased manufacturing of this radio, it would sell much cheaper.
This radio is in a niche market.

Well, if the demand was higher for this radio, it could probably sell much cheaper and be shipped from stateside vendors.

My Radio ( Optima MK2 ) will be here tomorrow. How fast is that ?? Since i made the the transaction Monday. Now that's fast. as far as a big demand, Im sure there are quite a few people who has purchased the Optima First and Second versions.

VKRULES I felt the exact same way, then I gave it a lot of thought and came up with I could buy almost 2 257HP radios, so I bought 1 257HP, after it's third trip back for a warranty repair, I was fed up, sold it, sold another SSB radio that I had laying around, and pulled the trigger for the Optima. Well it's been over 3 weeks now, still working great, no issues what so ever, and I am a very happy Yenticom Optima owner, there has not been a day that I wasn't using it even with all the sun flare stuff going on, I've been getting up early to hear a group in the Pocono Mts in PA that are on every morning at 6 to 630 lower side of 56, then I talk to the locals on my regular lower 39 before going to work. I come home, have dinner, turn the radio on and leave it on until I go to bed usually about midnight, it is still working very very well. You have to understand 51 dollars of that 375 is shipping so really were paying 324 for the radio, yes it's still a hundred more than a 257 but with the added features and the basic fact that it does WORK, that's all I need, a working radio.

You will be happy with it.
I got mine last week. Its going into the pick up this week. I sold some stuff laying around that needed to go and bought it. Just can't decide on an amp now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.