• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1 1/2 DK why when audio peaks 13 watts

The amp needs the correct AM dead key input to work right. The way your 148 is set right now it would rock with a Texas Star 350 HDV. On AM for example, you might see the amp dead key 80 ish watts and swing 275 er so. If you raise the radio's dead key to 4 watts the amp will now key 130-140, be on the edge of sounding pinched up, and run very hot. You will also burn the variable pot, keying transistor, and the amp itself much faster. The peak wattage will no go up at all with a higher dead key either.

And you are producing reduced carrier double side band signals. Not common AM at all. Why not just make it single side band and be done with it?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
The amp needs the correct AM dead key input to work right. The way your 148 is set right now it would rock with a Texas Star 350 HDV. On AM for example, you might see the amp dead key 80 ish watts and swing 275 er so. If you raise the radio's dead key to 4 watts the amp will now key 130-140, be on the edge of sounding pinched up, and run very hot. You will also burn the variable pot, keying transistor, and the amp itself much faster. The peak wattage will no go up at all with a higher dead key either.
It is interesting while adjusting my am wattage on my 148 with the amp on what a difference a few watts make nearly a hundred from the inside of my 148. What is just as interesting when set low one watt with audio the end result in wattage rises to nearly the same out put as as dk'ing eight watts just less forward swing of course. The one thing that you would think that would make a difference between four watts and one & half would be running bare foot. But running the same roads everyday in my mobile Cobra 29 LTD I can not see a difference in my receive coming from my base Cobra 148GTL. It seems like an all win situation! Well after saying this it's probably because my audio is still producing thirteen watts. There has to be some kind of down side please let me know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.