• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10/11M radio with detachable front panel

That was just posted recently in another thread. That dude was was bored and determined.

Yeah, I posted it before in another thread. I have a '67 Galaxy I'm slowly, very slowly, building, and was googling in search of a remote mount CB when I found that. For what I want, it will work perfectly.

I think however, I would build a cover for the back of the face, and the front of the radio.

I think by the time I finish the car, we should be at the peak of the next solar cycle.

There really is no detachable face, FCC approved CB radio sold in the US.
You could order one direct from europe, but since our dollar is crap expect to pay upwards of $200, plus about $50 in shipping. Then, if you care, the euro radio will still not be approved for use in the USA. Make sure if you go that route its "multi" for multi standard, can be set up for AM/FM and different freq for different countries. I doubt many other hams are going to bend over (or even fit) under that dash board to read the FCC type acceptance sticker or keep up with current CB radios.

The other option is ham gear, like that Icom 706, of course, once again......Just dont tell anyone you use it for CB.

You could detach the face of an existing radio. It might work, run shielded cat 5, soldered to the case of the radio. I would think something cheap like Realistic TRC-465 or 453 would be a good candidate. Only one problem with this, violation of FCC rules. I suppose you could mount the face in such a way it appears recessed into something of the vehicle and nobody would notice, but then you lost bragging rights for doing such a modification.

Other than that, there are other options, rare like holy relics but they are out there. That Midland 79-290 is one of those rare device. TX can be unlocked to cover all the way up to the top of SSB portion of 10.

There was an FCC accepted SSB HT, the cherokee AH-100, not a detach face but small. Its cousins are still in production, but are not FCC, and sold as 10/12 meter radios, quite expensive, $200-$300

So, there is really no options aside for the elusive 79-290. It might be easier to buy a detachable face car stereo and mount the CB in the dash.

Awsome! That was my plan exactly,but wasn't sure about the ribbon wire tho. Now I know it can be done. Plug and play would be nice too. Thx for the thread.

706 is rough to listen to on 11m AM. Lot's of noise coming through and no working NB for AM. Gets old real quick.

Are you saying it's against FCC rules to mod a CB to have a detachable face from the main body....?

I will agree that the 706 is not the best on AM but it does have an NB that will work (somewhat) on am. It can be disabled, not just turned on/off as well.

The 706 NB distorts strong signals barely and does little for the rest of the noise in my experience. The only way I can listen to AM CB is with the attenuator on which causes you to miss some signals.

CB Radio (Cobra 29) Mod & Mount in Center Console - Tacoma World Forums

I've been wanting to try this, just a bit too busy lately. If you have some soldering skills, I doubt it would be too difficult. Even with a radio with a full LCD display, I think it should be fairly easy. Just more wires.

This guy used CAT5 wire, computer ribbon cable should work too.

you would want to use 2 pairs in paralell(4 wires) for power to cut the drop and use one pair for audio and audio ground to reduce rfi pickup but other than that it should do just fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.