• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 Dollar yard sale pile.

2Eight0

Jul 4, 2012
I bought a Cobra 29 XLR a few weeks back at a yard sale and never got around to messing with it. Taiwan made 1983 I believe. It looks great on the outside. I hooked it up today powered it on. It came on but no receive and no transmit. So I deceided to open it up. Its missing the 2 finals on the back heat sink. I opened up my president teddy R thinking they have the same boards and they look very similar. I need both the finals im guessing they also have to do with the receive not working. The teddy R has an: Ecg295 and a 2028. IS this what I need for a cobra 29 as well? ECG295 seems to be very pricy and a bit harder to find. Is that an old number?

I wouldn't bother but ive read somewhere the D858 chip is the good one and I can have more channels with it. Id rather put my Galaxy88 back in the box anyway and use this in the car.

I dont think those 29XLR finals are the same finals as the 29LTD runs or ran. Im trying to remember what the 29XLR ran for output transistors but I know they are no longer made. I would just do the mosfet upgrade and be done with it and beable to get finals easily if needed in the future. The 29 XLR and the 29LTD were very similar radios on the outside and people assume when they pop the cover off and look with a shocked look one of the biggest differances was the XLR as you mentioned ran the 858 chip and had a cool H.F. (hash filter) switch.

The LTD rand the UPD2816 chip they can indeed both me modified but the boards were completely different animals and mor could be done with the LTD model. Now technically all of the LTD models are the same as far as the internal guts go unlike the oldwe XLR model which came out as one of the first cobra big radios in the later 1970's.

Last edited:
The Cobra 29XLR uses a C2091 for a driver and C2092 for a final. However, I'd recommend going with a C2314 (or C1957) for a driver and a C2078 for a final, same that's in the newer Cobra 29LTD's and 29LTD Classics. Those will give you more output and are direct drop-ins. Good Luck!

~Cheers~

So both those are the ones that go on the heat sink at the back of the radio? does the receive go thru those final as well somehow?

No, the receive goes thru a 10 pin IC mounted on another heatsink. It's labelled a C1156H. There is a possibility that could be bad, but replace the finals first and see if you get transmit first. Let us know how you get on.

~Cheers~

The Cobra 29XLR uses a C2091 for a driver and C2092 for a final. However, I'd recommend going with a C2314 (or C1957) for a driver and a C2078 for a final, same that's in the newer Cobra 29LTD's and 29LTD Classics. Those will give you more output and are direct drop-ins. Good Luck!

~Cheers~

I have those laying around I could donate

I have those laying around I could donate
I appreciate the offer but ive already ordered a few.. of coarse they are coming from a million miles away and have a great chance of being DOA but I figured it was worth a shot. Ill keep it in mind when I get an envelope full of junk in the next 21 days ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.