• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meter mobile antenna question

jb3154

Jul 16, 2009
North Carolina
Before I go into my question , let me say one thing first. I know that the magnum 257 radio is on the FCC watch list because it can be converted to work on 11 meters, but I got this "rig" due to the fact it was dirt cheap and it will fit where I need to mount it in my Grand Cherokee, and this will be my first ( not a real ) ham radio, and NO it is not going to get converted.I have a very good cobra 29 LTD with a 102" whip for cb. I am planning to take my ham test with-in the next few weeks, and i would like to use this 257 as a stepping off point into the real radio world.
My question is this , What antenna would you suggest to put on my grand cherokee for 10 meters, magnum tech support says it needs to have a shunt fed antenna, and also NO mag base. All my other antennas that i have are end fed. I am a little hesitant to drill another hole, especially in the roof. Suggestions ??
Thanks in advance .

Coax switch between the Cobra snd the 10 meter rig. Use the 102 for both, I do. Also tell the hams it is a Radio Shack HTX10. Both radio are the same except the CPU.
Rich

It's basically the same as selecting an 11 meter antenna (or any other band), taking any power handling capabilities needed, and where you can put the thing. That can range from a 'cut down' 102" whip to any other 'style' antenna available that suits your needs. So, what sounds good to you?
That "needs to have a shunt fed antenna, and also NO mag base" thingy is at least partially right to some extent. Mag-mounts are just not the best things that ever came along for several reasons. The 'biggy' being that capacitive coupling between vehicle body and antenna to obtain the 'other half' of that antenna. I don't think you should rule out a mag-mount completely if you just have to use one, but don't expect miracles. That isn't bad advice for those that are not comfortable with antennas and antenna tuning. But certainly not something you should carve in stone.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.