• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 Meter Moxon prep.

donny dobbs

Oct 19, 2018
So I’m planning on putting a Moxon on the roof. Ordered a 10 meter kit. I was considering lengthening the loop to work on 11 meters making it adjustable. I like the thought of listening on both bands.
That being said any input is appreciated. Haven’t determined my height etc... may go lower at first for tuning and to work both bands a little.
I saw a you tube video showing one with a Balun. So antenna builders please help me with a working design. The tubing is 7/16 . The manufacturer of the kit is Mfj . Thanks in advance.

For now I want to listen I cantransmit on 11 m. I’m prepping for the test and in a couple months then I would like to be able to transmit also on 10 m. I definitely want to make that antenna adjustable and probably put it up at half wave link 18 m or so to start. But I definitely would like to hear others’ opinions

Last edited:
is there a particular reason that you want a moxon?
Yes of course. I like the tight pattern for long distance dx. I feel I could aim quicker and have a better chance for both transmit and recieve at very long distances. I already purchased the kit.
I hope the bandwidth is wide enough that adjusting somewhere between 10 and 11 meters I’ll be able to hear both bands.

Start with the figures specified in the manual (and go get stainless hose clamps - the ones from MFJ suck). I added an MFJ -915 isolator which really help bring things closer to what I expected. I can't find my sheet right now but I had mine set for the upper end of 11m w/ a problem.

Ask and/or tell us where you are getting stuck, there are at least a couple of moxon fans on this board.

Start with the figures specified in the manual (and go get stainless hose clamps - the ones from MFJ suck). I added an MFJ -915 isolator which really help bring things closer to what I expected. I can't find my sheet right now but I had mine set for the upper end of 11m w/ a problem.

Ask and/or tell us where you are getting stuck, there are at least a couple of moxon fans on this board.
I have the 1890 kit ordered. I was thinking of getting some 7/16 tubing and extra clamps to lengthen it to the top end of 10 meters. I do not have the antenna building software. Your notes would have helped with that for sure. I need to find out how much of both bands I can get. I will get an isolator as well. I will probably put it at 20’ at first to test it out. I don’t want to get an antenna tuner yet. I’ll play with it Then push it up to 36’.
My questions would be length of the elements and length of the gaps. Or maybe the link for the Moxon software so that I could figure it myself. Thanks.

I looked at the instructions online. It calls the connection piece a Balun . Does it actually have the the Balun included? Maybe this has changed since then when it first was sold.

There are some ferrite chokes present, but I wouldn't call it a balun. My personal experience is that adding a true 1:1 balun/isolator improved things, but it still worked fine without it.

24068289_1543181329091790_591595611678208018_n.jpg 24129733_1543181179091805_2437135111592738727_n.jpg IMG_0126.jpg IMG_0127.jpg
Do yourself a favor and get the 1895 15meter version. Youll have to stretch out soo much to tune , that itll start to look like an oval. I been running moxons for 15 years now. I also have the 1895. I also have used the calculator lots of times and can tell you that it is close but not close enough for me. Build one from scratch, you'll see.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.