• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"10 meter radios" suck

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
I would take a CB with channel kit and a small amp any day over any "10 meter" radio that looks like a Cobra 29 on crack.

I saw what would have been a great deal on craigslist today for a Superstar with SSB (great deal as in I could turn around and sell it on ebay tomorrow and double my money) but I might have to eat peanut butter and spam for lunch and dinner all next week, then I got to thinking about how screwed up they are to use, and read a FAVORABLE review that admits they drift like raft from cuba.

My biggest complaints.

(1) 12khz dual unlocked "clarifier".
WTF???? This is 30% of the reason these things drift so bad. On AM people used to call such a thing a "SLIDER", and they expect me to get this thing on freq at 27.520 or 28.400 when I got no freq display or........................

(2) A 6 digit frequency counter.
Just die, I cannot hate enough anyone would actually put such a thing into a radio, especially when the freq counter board is designed for SEVEN DIGITS. Are they trying to save money or just retarded by not adding that last digit that makes all the difference on sideband. They make a $500 overpriced radio that can mount in a rack with a server or on a cell phone remote base station but only put a 6 digit counter in it. fewjfwqeoifjweoifjwefoij

(3) +10khz jump switc
should be entirely unnecessary, why the hell could they not have wired it up to automatically cover those alpha channels, +5 khz would have been much more useful, especially if you want to use it as a "10 meter radio"
Lescom makes a conversion kit that does cover the alpha channels continuously and its relatively cheap, why cant the usual suspects make a radio that does.

(4) talkback
chances are it cannot be switched off, or if it can be you loose echo and other voice mods. if the radio has been peaked the talkback will sound distorted anyway or it might not be possible to disable at all. I could understand limited use for talkback but I tend to get tired of hearing myself talk.

(5) poor and improper coverage of the 10 meter amateur band. They rarely go above 28.305. Ok I understand the upper upper 11 channels of the outband are there but for a "10 meter" radio this is crap. A few go to 28.755 making them somewhat useful (in theory) on SSB.......So why the hell do they have AM and FM then? AM and FM segments of 10 meters are like up around 29mhz and up. 2 useless modes for 10 meter operation. A few of the big rack radios I think do cover FM portions but still dont go all the way to the top of the band, nor repeater split, nor PLL tones but that would be a MINOR complaint compared to all the rest

(6) they drift, every one I have ever seen or heard of, drifts like a raft. I think due to a combination of crappy voltage reg, 12 khz "clarifier" and just cheaply made VCO.

I made a contact once on a "10 meter radio"......once

Dont think I am trying to put down non type accepted rigs. I have ran some pretty cool "export" radios, do about 120 channels, a bit more power than FCC, maybe has FM.
I am not putting down "legit" 10 meter or 10-12 meter radios either, QRZ's a-holes can go suck RF from a hot jumper. If its got digital VFO tuning, covers all of or at least the vast majority of 10 meters and is stable, its just as legit as any Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom which can also if not more easily be opened up for a little (or alot) of extra coverage.
If they are going to call it an Amateur Transceiver they should start making a radio that acts like an Amateur Transceiver.
Now to finish finding the stuff I need to install this expo "n" kit in my Realistic TRC-465 and 300 (280) watt amp.

Reactions: 2 people

Gosh.......where do I start. Ok, first off you bought this disaster off CRAIGSLIST. Do I need to ask who was smoken crack, the buyer or seller!!!!!!!!!!!

Next, anyone that has been around at all knows 10m Exports fill a that niche market. They offer more power, extra channels, echo and talkback, a 10kc jump to hit the "A" channels, let you talk in the free bands. They are not a true ham radio, and they are a hybred cb set.

Magnum, RCI, and Galaxy Exports have some solid customers that have money and continue to buy them. So guess what, they will continue to be around. If you don't like the one ya bought sell it on e-bay and stop crying.

Sorry man but your rant was pointless. You don't like Exports then go buy some ham rig that cost 4x as much. Or buy a legal cb set. And you posted this in the cb section, probably should be in the Export Radio section since that's what you are talken bout. That crack pype prolly got in the way.

Reactions: 1 person
My main reason for using exports are for their noise blankers. I can actually work 10 thru 12 without the occasional power line noise killing me.

No HAM radio ever made has a NB that would work uncorrelated an non correlated noise as some of the CB and export rigs do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Out of all 7 of my HF Rigs the one with an actual Noise Blanker that actually works is the rig thats in my wifes vehicle. That HF rig is a Kenwood TS-50S with the matching Kenwood AT-50 Tuner. It does exactly what a noise blanker is supposed to do and works excellent and has since Ive purchased it in 2005 or 2006.

That little Kenwood is by far the best rig Ive ever ran mobile' its rock solid and just an outstanding performer on all bands and most importantly its TROUBLE FREE. Dont get me wrong I like my newer Yaesu Rigs but bang for buck and for mobile use and performace that Kenwood TS-50S is so impressive I would buy another in a heartbeat.

As far as Export / Glorified CB radios RCI 2950 or Uniden HR2510 still get my vote. The rest and all this new stuff is just rediculous and these companies are just trying to damn hard to impress the consumers and are missing or overlooking whats important.

Gosh.......where do I start. Ok, first off you bought this disaster off CRAIGSLIST. Do I need to ask who was smoken crack, the buyer or seller!!!!!!!!!!!
I did not buy it

Next, anyone that has been around at all knows 10m Exports fill a that niche market. They offer more power, extra channels, echo and talkback, a 10kc jump to hit the "A" channels, let you talk in the free bands. They are not a true ham radio, and they are a hybred cb set.
They are an attempt at a legal loophole to sell substandard junk disguised as a more powerful CB with more channels.
Hybrid only in technicality, only a few I have seen would even reach the SSB portion of 10m, with RX sensitivity and TX power reduced to crap due to lack of broadband capability of the chassis.

Magnum, RCI, and Galaxy Exports have some solid customers that have money and continue to buy them. So guess what, they will continue to be around. If you don't like the one ya bought sell it on e-bay and stop crying.
Brand names arent much more than a label and maybe fine tuning, as long as people buy crap technology will not improve (unless you think bluetooth and a usb and sd card port for displaying your own background is somehow an advancement) These radios have their place I guess, in a semi truck or in my jeep for running FM on the trails to piss the locals off.

Sorry man but your rant was pointless. You don't like Exports then go buy some ham rig that cost 4x as much. Or buy a legal cb set. And you posted this in the cb section, probably should be in the Export Radio section since that's what you are talken bout. That crack pype prolly got in the way.

I never paid more than $35 for one of those things, none of which from clist. Ham rig cost 4x as much, really? Funny how the 10-12 meter radios like the RCI2950 or Magnum 257 are going for about $150-$200 vs $250-$350 for a cobra wannabe that drifts.
Lets see, an older used all mode full coverage HF rig, about $150-$200 plus cost of crystals to get it on 11m. "expandable" HF rig, used about $300-$400 with about same power out as 98vhp or some of the newer "10 meters" with built in stinger boards, which cost about the same.

I am sure there has been made some radios that are stable on SSB, so what there is often exceptions of every rule.

My main reason for using exports are for their noise blankers. I can actually work 10 thru 12 without the occasional power line noise killing me.

No HAM radio ever made has a NB that would work on correlated an non correlated noise as some of the CB and export rigs do.

My Kenwood TS-440 has NB, notch filter and IF shift to get rid of noise.

COLT510_H.jpg

a real export radio, not even trying to pretend its ham, just illegal in your face!

No HAM radio ever made has a NB that would work uncorrelated an non correlated noise as some of the CB and export rigs do.
sorry my ft450d has a great nb...73 de n0zna

That little Kenwood is by far the best rig Ive ever ran mobile' its rock solid and just an outstanding performer on all bands and most importantly its TROUBLE FREE. Dont get me wrong I like my newer Yaesu Rigs but bang for buck and for mobile use and performace that Kenwood TS-50S is so impressive I would buy another in a heartbeat.

The Kenwood TS-50S is an exceedingly nice radio and great performer I never figured out why Kenwood discontinued it's manufacture. It fulfilled a niche for compact, entry level radio free from keypads and multiple rows of buttons which is all the rage. Simple to operate with a unobtrusive appearance.

Closest radio that I own is a Icom IC-707 which has a switchable and very effective Noise Blanker. It fulfills my requirements for a radio compact, great performance and easy to use. I would never think of selling it.

I think the TS-50 has darn good AM audio. I too, would like to see it back in service, of course, with a few modern tweaks.

Kinda funny, but a few years ago you could easily get a nice specimen with bracket and box for under $350. People want $500+ for them now. I bought one new when they first came out. I've probably owned 5-6 used ones. Wish I had kept the last one I sold.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.