• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"10 meter radios" suck

I have heard several people say they wished Kenwood would start remaking these TS-50S rigs. I remember hearing a few years ago how Kenwood had gotten requests and were looking into it. All in all it is a great radio so as with all other great radios we most likely will not see reproduction of it or the alike. They could have took the true tested design and just added a few goodies to modernize it make it a TS-51S ETC and they would sell!! Like I said they would have to not change its size and guts just add a few things. A revamp of the whole radio would not be needed or it would ruin the whole idea or principles of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: binrat
Strange, I just now realized that I haven't seen a TS-60 for sale in a long time. Hate to see what they go for now. I've never owned one yet. I've bid on many of them over the years, but always got pounded bad in bidding for one.

yet another one of those threads that i just can't read after i get most of the way through the initial post.
most truckers don't need a full scale all out balls to the wall export. all they need is 26.735....sorry, is that the freq, channel 19, 1 band down? but you know what i mean. well that & as many watts as they can get out of that particular radio without it melting. i don't really even know what 'niche they fill'. i only 'acquire' the occasional export to 'play with it' for a while. many have a neat feature or 2. many are just 'there'. far too many are nothing more then cobra 29's on steroids with features that their owner NEVER EVER USE!!!!

that said, there are ONLY 2 exports that are deserving of any accolades. unfortunately, i've only owned 1-albeit at least 10 of them-the AR3500, & the optima. from what i've seen, read & heard, it is probably the closest to a useable radio-after the ar3500, ever given the 'export' moniker. i suppose the magnum 257 is a distant, distant third. the ar3500, hands down is the king, the 1 the only export that should ever be duplicated.....yet nobody does.

Reactions: 1 person
The AR-3500 and the Optima yeti are real 10 meter (and 12) radios just as much as kenwood,yaesu,icom, or an HTX-10.
I checked out the AR-3500 and that thing is nice, and it does split freq. Dude if people would figure out how to use split on 11 meters that would piss on the parade of the local jammer, just like switching around crystals in an old 23 channel rig.

This defacto prohibition on 10 & 12 meter monoband rigs needs brought down. Every current production all band HF rig can be "modified" or more like "unlocked" for full TX coverage and that is legal and ok? So what some of these rigs can be modified for bands of 40 channels, lalala generic CPU chip. I put the 40 channels (minus m channel 6 and 9 for scanning) into my TS-440, why? because all of ham is freq, little need for channelizing anything, and the rest of the channels are just to get places quickly, or for my favorite SW broadcast stations.

I am sorry but a radio that only has 27 channels in the CW and beacon portion of the 10 meter band that only does am and fm is not a 10 meter radio and only helps this b.s. business model the FCC has concocted for an excuse to bully someone to appease special interest. At least put a damn CW jack on the back. I think calling a amplifier a "Mobile CW transmitter" floats better than calling such a rig a "10 meter radio". I almost want to learn morse code, pop a 28.1010 crystal in it, grab my shortwave receiver, mount it in my truck and go to town tapping morse code as I drive down the road just to try to help their case.

At least I could use the "mobile CW transmitter" for its intended purpose, unlike the "10 meter radio" that cant legally transmit squat on 10 meters, except maybe as a beacon. Yes the manufactures should start calling such radios,
"10 meter mobile beacon transceivers" to set them apart from the 2510s, the 2950s, the magnum 257s, etc.

Just get a big boy radio.

cobra_148gtl_spec_sheet_front_zps4adc1ed4.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
My main reason for using exports are for their noise blankers. I can actually work 10 thru 12 without the occasional power line noise killing me.

No HAM radio ever made has a NB that would work uncorrelated an non correlated noise as some of the CB and export rigs do.

I dont use the NB anyway, my vehicle has no ignition or electronics to control the motor. At night I can drive outside of town, squelch off and volume turned up and not hear a thing until someone keys up.

I dont use the NB anyway, my vehicle has no ignition or electronics to control the motor. At night I can drive outside of town, squelch off and volume turned up and not hear a thing until someone keys up.

Me too. A short jaunt through town(noisy)and then open road to the next city. By the way, the next city put all their high tension lines on tall concrete poles alongside the US Highway that runs through town. Get at 5 s-units of noise going through town. The other morning as I was still outside of town,whenever someone that lived in that town keyed up,the static came in with them. Otherwise it was quiet on the band

yet another one of those threads that i just can't read after i get most of the way through the initial post.
most truckers don't need a full scale all out balls to the wall export. all they need is 26.735....sorry, is that the freq, channel 19, 1 band down? but you know what i mean. well that & as many watts as they can get out of that particular radio without it melting. i don't really even know what 'niche they fill'. i only 'acquire' the occasional export to 'play with it' for a while. many have a neat feature or 2. many are just 'there'. far too many are nothing more then cobra 29's on steroids with features that their owner NEVER EVER USE!!!!

that said, there are ONLY 2 exports that are deserving of any accolades. unfortunately, i've only owned 1-albeit at least 10 of them-the AR3500, & the optima. from what i've seen, read & heard, it is probably the closest to a useable radio-after the ar3500, ever given the 'export' moniker. i suppose the magnum 257 is a distant, distant third. the ar3500, hands down is the king, the 1 the only export that should ever be duplicated.....yet nobody does.

lol lol lol tell em how it is . :D;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.