• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 Meter rig question

donw35

Jul 8, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
home.roadrunner.com
Hi all,

new to the forum and am looking for some advise, I have a Yaesu FT-100D I use for 10 meters. I listen in on the other ham bands but do not work them due to licences. question, my antenna (antron 99) tuned to 10 meters works well but do I need a antenna tuner ?. would that help in better resepetion of other bands ?

Thanks

If that antenna is working well for you now on 10 meters, then why would you need a tuner? The only good reason for having a tuner is to get to a frequency range where your antenna doesn't want to go. Your antenna, or any antenna for that matter, can only be 'skootched' so far before it really isn't going to work very well, with or without a tuner. Then it's time to think about another antenna, maybe in addition to the one you have now.
A 'too long' antenna is almost always easier to tune on a higher frequency than it's designed for. Ones that are 'too short' are harder to tune. That assumes you have a tuner.
These sort of suggestions go on, and on, till it get's ridiculous, sort of. Best advice is to use an antenna designed/cut for the band(s) you are interested in. Then sort of 'wing it' for other bands.
- 'Doc

(Up grade!!)

For just monitoring, to pick up the lower frequency bands, a dipole of 135' (gives you 80m and up) or 270' (would give you 160 and up) can be made. Depends on how much room you have to work with and what bands you want to get.

For simply monitoring you could just solder coax at the feed point of the dipole, shield to one side and center to the other side. If you want to TX with it, you would be better off feeding it with balanced line, but that's another whole story.

Thanks for the reply guys, I don't have alot of space for antenna's and my location doesn't let me put them up very high. I have worked 10 meters ok with the antron 99 and can get stuff with it on the other HF bands. Thanks for the info on the tuner, better to ask then to spend.

To increase reception on the lower bands, just use the center conducter only on your pl259. You may want to make a simple 1/2 wave dipole for 6 meter too.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.