• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meter ssb

brash

Apr 22, 2012
might be picking up a stryker 440 and was wondering if not having ssb is a big deal? right now i dont use it (ssb) but thought i might like to have the option. anyway might be the wrong way to ask but would i rather have the 440 than the grant xl i'm looking at, btw they are both about the same price.

The Grant XL shouldn't be as much as the Stryker. Grants can be found, regularly, for under $100. Though beware of them being molested and over-driven. If you see one boasting 40W, walk away. I haven't seen many Strykers selling for much less than $150. Now Ebay has some crazy numbers on a lot of used radios. I would steer away from that unless you can identify the seller as a reputable source. With the auction craze, many people are selling and they don't have any idea about the inner workings of what they are dumping on you.
You may find you like SSB, maybe not. It is nice to have the option, but that is just my opinion. The Grant won't put out the power of the Stryker, but a well tuned Grant is still a rock solid performer. It has clean and crisp audio. A small class A or B amp can always make up the difference in power if DXing is your game. If you do play with SSB, make sure the radio is properly tuned. SSB operators are really serious about clean audio. They will ignore you if you sound muddy, or gang up and make fun of you. Keep your radio's mic gain backed down to a reasonable level and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 person
why buy

half a radio,the stryker is half a radio,if it dont have ssb,i wouldnt want it.And the grant if its doing over 20 wtts it wont hold up.It was cut and modded...it will sound bad on ssb...If you want a good am/ssb get a gal 949 or 959...it has your talk=back and roger beep if you want,and it also has a 3 yr warrenty...and sound good on both am/ssb...73 de JW

Reactions: 1 person
right now i'm using an 68 and for the last week will stop receiving and transmitting, then all of a sudden start again, anyway. looking for a new rig i came across the stryker a lady has who is getting rid of coz her hubby is not around anymore. $60. the grant is $50 . all the guys at work (i do construction so no otr) use only stock cb's some even use even less than stock. so i dont need anything special but just want not to limit myself, thinking i might like 10 meters better than ssb or vice versa. thought about the 980 uniden but dont have the extra hundred right now, maybe later in the winter i'll take a better look at it.

...get the grant even if you don't use ssb its always something different to play with when you are board with a plain am radio ..plus once you get use to ssb you will like it ...or take them both try them out and sell what you don't want to keep..don't know if you have your ticket or not for 10 meters o... remember you need your ticket for 10

dont have it yet, almost bought a 2meter 440 radio a while back. taken the practice test couple times and learned i need to learn more. haha

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.