• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 Meters

Bob S.

Oct 28, 2008
Northwestern Otsego, Co., NY.
I'm studying for my amateur license and I'm really interested in 10 meters. As I understand it, under the right propagation conditions, 10 meters is capable of world wide DX. I've also read that a lot of the time It's local communications of 40-50 miles only. 40-50 miles?

I'm tempted to buy a 10 meter base and antenna, but I'd hate to find out later that there's nobody close enough to talk to most of the time. I do live on top of one of the higher hills in the area and I have a 20' telephone pole in the back yard that I used to have my C.B. antenna on. This is all new to me and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Bob

Depends on the wattage of the radio for local talk, like my 10 meter radio ( an HTX-100 ) puts out 25 watts on high and 5 watts on low. I generally don't hear anything unless the atmospheric conditions are right then you have good DX.

T23

Yup. You can talk to the whole entire world on 10 with under 100 watts and a wet noodle antenna when the cycle is good.

Consider buying a rig that works on all of H.F. for when you get your license. Plenty of other bands to use while waiting for openings on 10. Plus u get more for your money with ham rigs.

Bob,
CB radio and ham/amateur radio are two different 'ball-games' altogether. They are both radio, but that's about the only similarity. CB radio is a one-band thingy where ham radio is a more than 10 band thingy. Those bands are spread out all over the radio spectrum, from 160 meters (just above the AM broadcast band) to 1.2 Ghz (approaching the microwave stuff) and above. 10 Meters is only one of those bands.
I would suggest finding out more about ham radio before buying a radio.
There are a number of web sites that can tell you about ham radio, probably the most commonly used one is the American Radio Relay League's site;
American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources
That site also tells you about licensing, which you really should look into also. The license tests are not all that difficult, really!
Do some checking around, see what you think...
- 'Doc

10 METERS is open everyday, now not for long yet, but if you monitor 28.400 usb , you will make a few contacts. I have been working the west coast, Florida, Texas, Georgia lately, running 50 watts to my Sorio 2016 on the roof. I run an Alinco DX70t. If I need more power I have the Texas Star to kick in.

When the band is dead..30 miles is about it for me.

DOCTOR/795

10 meter is good but, It's like 11 meter. Conditions have to be good and they are usually not.(until next year)! What ticket are you going for..Technician? has very limited privilege's on 10 meter. so an "HF" amateur rig will give you only 28.300 to 28.500.(10M) and CW on 15, 40 and 80 Meters. Look up the ARRL Amateur radio band allocation. Anyone feel free to correct me if I wrong.

Don't expect to hear many locals on 10m. Any locals are most likely to be on one of the 2m or 70cm repeaters. Hams very rarely use any HF band to talk local. The exception may be 80m where a group may be from the same region within a few hundred miles.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm shooting for my general class license and I thought 10 meters might be a good place to get my feet wet. I'll concentrate on my license right now and worry about everything else afterwards. Thanks again.

Bob

if your cb antenna is a a99 you can tune it for 10 mtrs...thats what i run on 10 mtrs.I have worked all states and worked all contenets on 10 mts running a converted cobra 148 in the house and car...good luck,73s de n0zna/John I forgot,there is alot of 10-10 club nets... go check out 10-10.org 73s

As the band perks up, more and more hams will monitor their local "call channel" on 10. Up here, we have a local group that monitors 28.420 all day long. We use anything from Yaesu FT-2000's to 10M radios klike the Magnum 257 and OmegaForce S45HP. Some guys use their HR2510's. We all have an extra 10M vertical antenna dedicated to the band. Typical range ranges from 30 miles to 80 miles depending on antenna height and power. The antennas range from A99's to 5/8ths wl colinears like my Hy-Gain Penatrator 500, adjusted to 28.8 Mhz. I can work easily 60miles with that antenna and my FT-990. It's at 40' height.

This is just some ideas for you. Of course, getting your general will be even more beneficial to you as you would be able to get on 75M and talk to "locals" within 800 miles.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.