• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 mtrs ready for CQ SSB this weekend

ghutch

Sep 24, 2010
Many stations testing and getting ready for the CQ SSB Contest this coming weekend. If ten is as good Sat-Sun as it was the last couple days ,,,, you will be able to DXCC in a weekend with a little luck.
Running mobile the last couple days I've worked 20 plus countries and heard 10 or so more I could not get thru the nasty pileups. Some rare Africa and Asia station on so it'll be fun. This contest brings out the big gun contesters, guys are already working from some rare islands and countries as dx expeditions just getting ready for this contest. If your a rag chewer it won't be good due to the crowded bands but the Dx chasers will be very happy. If all works out I'll be in the pileups with them! Planning to double last years points :) and work a contest with no one but myself! Hopefully I can add a couple new ones during the process??
I'll be calling from as close as I can get to the saltwater, hope to get the antennas base about 8 feet from the surf!
Hope you all have a good weekend and good DX. 73

Reactions: Philpoh

Should be great conditions for the weekend!!!
"Sunspot AR12192 is 14 times larger than Earth and almost as big as Jupiter" hit yesterday <11am.
Numbers are up and should continue for this weekend!:)

Good luck Garry, will be listening for you!
Philip

Worked::LOL:
VK9DLX / Lord Howe Island
TX7G / Marquesas Islands...on CW
ZK3E / Tokelau Islands

All on 10m...Heard many ZL's / VK's
But could not hear the Timor-Leste 4W/K7CO station some stateside op's were working... the rarest station in DXCC land:mad:
Maybe this weekend
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Looked up the highest SFI for Cycle 24: 237 on Jan 7, 2014. Today's SFI is 227 thanks to that great big sunspot. Cycle 24 is a real fooler: This would be a second peak. So 10M should be in top shape for the weekend.

solarcycle24.php

LOOKING GOOD...Hope it keeps building for weekend!
All the Best
Gary

Major Solar Flare (X3.1)
Sunspot 2192 unleashed the sixth strongest solar flare of the current solar cycle, a major X3.1 solar flare peaking at 21:40 UTC on Friday evening. Unlike the previous eruptions around the large active region, this event may be eruptive. We will not know for sure until coronagraph imagery becomes available. More information to follow. Click HERE for the X3.1 event log.

oct24_2014_x3.1.jpg

This may be good or it may be real bad!
Could kill the bands or bring them to life even more, just have to keep close watch.
Credit to SOLARHAM.COM FOR IMAGE AND INFO.
All the Best
Gary

The CQ contest is going to be a good one.....the numbers all point to a great Dx weekend and most likely some very high scores. :):) I was really very tired about day break yesterday.....until ten meters really fired up. Then the "second wind" started and the Dx was really good. With all The Sun Spots, the index was in great shape. Strange how dead the bands were Friday just before the start, not a peep on most bands an hour before it started. At 0000 hrs within a couple seconds they were full! Ten meters very cramped up past 28.800-900. every 2.5 was a station. 15/20 were crowed but nothing like 10 meters.
I worked a bunch folks .... missed some rarer stations due to the pile ups. China, heard 4-5 stations strong S-5 signals(no contacts!) but few Indonesia operators? also only a few eastern EU/block countries. One thing I did notice was the lack of Russian, eastern EU and only heard a few Ukraine operators. Many JA's, EU's and Central/South America. Qatar is a the only new one and number two to Kaliningrad (not sure going to get a map?)
Total contacts on my log.....369 QSO's, 86 countries, I expect the clean data to be about 160,000 points based on my log last year....I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other eye! so typos on call signs are about 20% !!!!! couple that with my dyslexia and you get the picture :):) I may not get over 100,000. but it was a great weekend and much fun. 73 and good DX

how did you guys do?

Reactions: Philpoh
Stayed on 10m Fri/Sat/Sun - great conditions!
Just dial listen give a call repeat, went up and down 10m couple hours each day - wish could have stayed on longer.

Couple new ones:
AH2R Guam
AH0K Northern Mariana Islands
VK9LM Lord Howe Island
S79K Seychelles
Du3LA Philippines
Huge pile up couldn't break in - VK9XSP Christmas Isl

Also heard Hong Kong station and couple China stations,
which I almost never hear here in Ohio.

Was a couple great days to be a dx operator!!

Stayed on 10m Fri/Sat/Sun - great conditions!
Just dial listen give a call repeat, went up and down 10m couple hours each day - wish could have stayed on longer.

Couple new ones:
AH2R Guam
AH0K Northern Mariana Islands
VK9LM Lord Howe Island
S79K Seychelles
Du3LA Philippines
Huge pile up couldn't break in - VK9XSP Christmas Isl

Also heard Hong Kong station and couple China stations,
which I almost never hear here in Ohio.

Was a couple great days to be a dx operator!!
I had already worked all but China on your list before contest. Worked a few new ones. Tried for Andorra, but was the worse pileup I ever heard. Great to hear band active all the way above 29 mhz. I did hear some techs operating out of band, Remember on USB, you shift up from display.
Rich

This morning got Rabat Morocco/CN2BGB 5/9 with a vertical on 28.470.
Had a great Qso with you last evening , then with westerners Samoa, then Qrp with Norm in Hawaii with 5 watts those 11 meter beams work well on 10 meters,and 12 meters.keep up the good work......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated