• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102" whip mobile height above real ground

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
I understand that the antenna uses the vehicle as part of the groundplane as well as the "spill over" of the ground plane that tries to use the real ground for a mirror. All this being said, what happens as you lower the feed point toward the ground? In a base the feed point height changes the take off. Same in a car I suppose?

This all started when I took the radio and 102 whip out of my truck and mounted them in the car. The whip was mounted to the toolbox in the truck but in the car it is mounted on the side by the tail light. So it's almost 3 feet lower to the ground and has zero metal below the feed point unlike the truck. The radio works way better. Amazingly way better. So is it the height off the ground, the ground being used more as the groundplane, the take off angle, the truck bed not trapping or reflecting back into the antenna or what?

I understand that the antenna uses the vehicle as part of the groundplane as well as the "spill over" of the ground plane that tries to use the real ground for a mirror. All this being said, what happens as you lower the feed point toward the ground? In a base the feed point height changes the take off. Same in a car I suppose?

This all started when I took the radio and 102 whip out of my truck and mounted them in the car. The whip was mounted to the toolbox in the truck but in the car it is mounted on the side by the tail light. So it's almost 3 feet lower to the ground and has zero metal below the feed point unlike the truck. The radio works way better. Amazingly way better. So is it the height off the ground, the ground being used more as the groundplane, the take off angle, the truck bed not trapping or reflecting back into the antenna or what?
I am curious. What type of mount was on the tool box

I am curious.
Which type of mount was on the toolbox?
Which type of mount is on the car?
Was there metal-to-metal contact between the toolbox and the bed of the truck?
I've seen toolboxes attached to the bed rails with rubber or felt material between the bed rails and the toolboxes.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Ball mount. Yeah the truck box was strapped and bolted. Same stinger, same radio. Analizer in the truck said it was a good match. Car says it's a good match. Its crazily though. All I can figure is I have a better ground plane.

Ball mount. Yeah the truck box was strapped and bolted. Same stinger, same radio. Analizer in the truck said it was a good match. Car says it's a good match. Its crazily though. All I can figure is I have a better ground plane.
Yeah, that's a stumper because I don't understand how the ground plane on the side of a vehicle is more efficient.
Isn't the bed of the truck isolated from the frame with rubber bushings?

Car mount location

Attachments

• Resized_20221022_162200.jpeg
    Resized_20221022_162200.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 78
Wow! Considering approximately one-third of the antenna is very close to the body, I'd say you got lucky.
Consider that I went from an s10 to this hhr using the mount where I put it, I wonder if I had it on the roof how itd do. As much as I'd like to know I ain't gonna try it. Although I did have a car with a puck mounted center of the roof and it did well. I had thought about ordering the trimag mount and using it with a whip. Might later.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.