• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102" whip on a wilson mount

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone else has done this.

just the other day while going through one of my many, many junk boxes, i found a 3/8x24 stud to SO-239 adapter and a male to male barrel connector.

i screwed them together and the idea popped into my head instantly!

my wilson 5000 mount is an SO-239 which would allow me to use my mobile setup with a 102" whip!

i quickly went out to the car to try it out, and it worked great!
SWR was about 1.5 to 1 which is fine with me.

now, i wont be using this while driving down the road, as i doubt the roof metal of my little sedan could take the torque, but for stationary DXing like on top of a parking garage; it will be perfect.

so, anyone else do this?
and if so, why didnt you tell me about it earlier?!

cant wait to find a good high spot and really try this out.

later,
LC

Is it a hole mount or a mag mount?

I love my Predator 10K for the big truck, but run a 102" whip on my Jeep and GMC Jimmy. I've found nothing better. Also can take a big beating.

Good luck with your new setup, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

its the roof mount where you drill a hole in the roof.

i just cant run magnet mounts, as im always wondering how much better id be getting out if i was using the roof mount. LOL

now youve got me thinking that i need to buy one of those big center loaded antennas that everyone's using these days and try the same idea using it.

i just wish there were a few knowledgeable operators around here so i could do some testing on the differences.

just cant trust the dufusses around these parts. LOL

later,
LC

now youve got me thinking that i need to buy one of those big center loaded antennas that everyone's using these days and try the same idea using it.
If you use a center loaded CB antenna and put a 102" whip in place of the existing stinger, it will be resonant at way too low a frequency to be useful with CB.

LOL moleculo, you mustve been shaking your head while posting that. LOL

what i meant by "using the same idea" was that i would use the center loaded antenna with the adapter and the wilson mount, not that i would use the 102" whip with the center loaded antenna. LOL

i thought you knew me better than that LOL.

LC

PS- just as a funny sidenote, i was looking through an old SECRET CB book today, and in the back, they show a pic of a bigstick base antenna with a K40 screwed to it as the top section. LOL

for "improved performance" HA!

what i meant by "using the same idea" was that i would use the center loaded antenna with the adapter and the wilson mount, not that i would use the 102" whip with the center loaded antenna. LOL

OOOOHHH! hehe. Well the magnet may not be strong enough for the wind load of the coil. But if you used a Tri-mag mount it would work good. Try it and let us know how it works.

well i will certainly post when i get a chance to actually use the setup.

im using a thru hole roof mount wilson 5000, not the mag mount.

im actually concerned with the paper thin metal that my roof is made of.
that would be an ugly tweak of the metal if i hit a tree branch or low bridge with a 102" whip. LOL

LC

An aluminum or steel plate on the underside would stiffen it up.

But if it's just for stationary, oughta work fine.

well i will certainly post when i get a chance to actually use the setup.

im using a thru hole roof mount wilson 5000, not the mag mount.

im actually concerned with the paper thin metal that my roof is made of.
that would be an ugly tweak of the metal if i hit a tree branch or low bridge with a 102" whip. LOL LC

LC, you could drive around with your drive around antenna, whatever, and try to find a real hot spot. I might not be high like you suggested, but they are just locations where DX and local signals are very strong most of the time. Sometimes these spots might be higher elevation and that's more better, but sometimes there can be dead spots also. If you watch carefully as you drive, you can see these spots indicated on your RX meter. Try asphalt paring lots even small ones. If you are close to a coast line you will find a lot of such spots, both kinds.

Why spend a lot of money and maybe tear up your antenna or roof trying to make better contacts, when using a mobile you can drive to a real hot spot that you know is a better performer than any antenna you could put on your auto.

You can't beat Mother Nature, and when she's hot, she's really hot.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned