• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102'' whip

i see that there are stud mounts that go from 3/8's to an SO239 connection then i am guessing i could find a PL259 to BNC to make it work...just wondering if it would be worth it reception wise.

Has anyone here ever connected a 102'' whip to a handheld? Can it be done? Does it work?

Wow, does that bring back memories!
When I was a young fella, my buddies and I had some inexpensive single channel (ch 14) walkie talkies. Range about 1/4 mile. One of the guys snapped his antenna off against a tree branch. Went home, took his dad's steel whip off his truck, and taped it against the remaining 2" of the original antenna. After a roll of tape he still had to hold it in place. LOL.

Well, what a difference it made! For an afternoon he was king of the neighborhood airwaves!

Then his dad woke up from his nap.

Last edited:
Any CB antenna can be connected to a handheld if you can get the correct adapter. Even a mag mount antenna with coax will work, and do a better job that the original. Some of the older premium WTs had center-loaded telescoping antennas that would extend to 5 - 6 feet, and actually performed very well. Whenever we were on a trip in a car w/o a cb, I would bring my TRC 205 W/T with an external power cord, handheld mike, external speaker, and a mag mount antenna for the roof. Everything fit in a small duffel bag, and worked great on the road, which was all we needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: NF822WNY

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.