• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102 whip ?????

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
I plan on mounting 102 whip on my truck, 99 F-250. I plan on using the L part of a mirror mount bolted to the front of the truck bed. I have a plastic tool box i am going to slide back that will also help to keep the ant. from bending back to far.Will this work or do I need to try something else. Also need recomendations about grounding. Thanks for any help you can provide.

SARGE said:
Also need recomendations about grounding. Thanks for any help you can provide.
A DC ground and a RF ground are two different animals. I'd suggest you run multiple, large gauge "grounds" to the frame. As always, YMMV. ;) 73

DC grounds and RF grounds ~are~ different, but you can over do the RF grounding thingy too. All those 'extra' grounds can result in something called a ground loop, not good. When do you know you have enough grounding? When it works...
- 'Doc

sarge, make sure when u mount the ant. mount that the L brackets where they make contact to the box have the paint scraped off and if u can use some dielectric grease on there so it can get a good ground and not rust. if your swrs are still higher than what u like, start running ground straps to your frame.

Dielectric Grease - nope

Picky comment, but you want to avoid "dielectric" grease. The term "dielectric" implies that it is a very poor conductor (like the dielectric in a capacitor, which insulates the two terminals from each other, or the insulator between the center conductor and the shield in a piece of coax).

A good metal-bearing grease formulated specifically for this purpose is available, called "Butter It's Not". It's a molybdenum grease with copper particles in it. If the surfaces aren't aluminum, this will work well. If they ARE aluminum, there's a product called "Noalox" (grease with aluminum particles).

If you stick an ohmmeter's leads into either of these greases, you'll see an open circuit, but what happens is the particles "bite" into the metallic surfaces and that's where they provide protection and conductivity. Just remember to remove all the paint, rust and dirt from ALL surfaces to be joined.

On edit: I see I got bit by the kopperhead kops :roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.