• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

108" whip swr

Using an electrical 1/2 wave length of coax (or whole number multiple) will give the same impedance at the 'other' end as it 'sees' at the antenna end. That's handy when checking the antenna's input impedance. If that length isn't too long it won't hurt anything just to leave it as the normal feed line. If it would mean way too much 'extra' cable, replace it with the length needed to reach.
That's really the only benefit to using an electrical 1/2 wave length. It doesn't 'do' anything toward making the impedance match correct, it only tells you what the match is at the 'other' end of it as if you had placed the SWR meter there.
There are 'catches' though. Figuring the electrical length of any cable depends on you knowing what that cable's velocity factor is. And, the quoted velocity factor of any cable is always given as a 'characteristic' value, not an exact one. That characteristic value should be ball-park close, but don't expect it to be exact because there are too many manufacturing variables no one can account for. Ain't nothing perfect. Right?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Seeing how most 1/4 wave vertical antenna have an input impedance of about 42 ohms you'll never get a 1:1 match. A match of 1:2 to 1:4 is as best as your going to get.

got up early today before the snow comes and replaced my radioshack RG-58U coax with some Belden RG-8x coax, the belden coax sure looks to be made 100% better than the radioshack stuff ( it was cheap and local at the time). the 58u barely had any shield on it. I also put a choke just below the antenna connection, i used 5 turns of coax around a 4" plastic form(old go-jo hand cleaner container) does this sound right??

got some other jobs to do now and maybe get on the radio this afternoon.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.