• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10K antennas

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm thinking about finally getting me a 10K. I'm not sure witch one would be the best for me. I'm thinking the SW duel coil because I drive a 1999 Kenworth and haul asphalt so I drive under a silo to get loaded 6 to 8 times a day. I'm using a Wilson T-2000 right now and it hits the silo so I just go slow. I don't think I should go any higher and the antenna has to mount on the mirror arm. I'd love to put it on the back of the cab with the load above the top of the cab but with loading out of the silos all day it would last for one trip before it got snapped off.

What do you all think? Duel coil, single coil, comp model, whats your opinion?

If there is any way possible a smaller antenna towards the center of the cab is going to work better then anything you can do on the mirrors. If you're not running more then 200 watts this is easy. Pick a short base loaded antenna with a steel whip. It's the only thing that will hold up to being hit all the time. Preferably a hole mount because you know the magnets will pop off. Unless you silicone it down. Then it hold real good.

You could lay it down to about a 45 degree angle and it will still work fine and that would lower its over all height.

I've run a 12'' shaft for years now, mine started out as a dual coil but I removed the upper coil and just made it a single 12'' shaft so maybe just consider a 12'' single which gives you little more whip which is more better.

Putting it at an angle might help it from being to high but the company I work for says antennas will go on the mirror antenna mount as all the trucks. I was lucky they didn't throw a fit when I took the POS fiberglass, no name antennas off and ran my own coax and the Wilson antenna.

So does anyone know the length of these 10K antennas? I'm still thinking of the duel coil antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.