• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10m/11m mobile radios

The HTX-100 used a 3 KHz IF Filter.
The Hr radio used the 5KHz IF Filter.

This is because the Hr and Lincoln radios where all mode.
The HTX-100 was CW/USB only so there was no problem with the narrow filter.

Jeff

Exactly, and the HR-2600 was even worse because of the provision of FM and repeater capability. It had a single 15 kHz wide filter and to accommodate SSB and CW at the required BFO offset, the desired signal was so deep in the skirt that it was highly attenuated. As I would tune across 10m I would hear a very loud signal peaking high on the meter and as I would tune it in, the signal strength would diminish. On weak stations it was even worse. I finally gave up and acquired an FT-890 and ran it mobile with much better results.

I would have to look hard at the design of any of these "export" rigs before I would decide to spend my money on one. In the mean time, there are relatively small amateur band rigs that meet my needs. My recommendation is to get a rig tailored for each service you plan to operate on.

Exactly, and the HR-2600 was even worse because of the provision of FM and repeater capability. It had a single 15 kHz wide filter and to accommodate SSB and CW at the required BFO offset, the desired signal was so deep in the skirt that it was highly attenuated. As I would tune across 10m I would hear a very loud signal peaking high on the meter and as I would tune it in, the signal strength would diminish. On weak stations it was even worse. [...]
I would dispute that. I never found that phenomenon. Both radios had FM. Having owned both, I found the performance of both radios very close, if not identical. Though due to tuning, I found the '2600 a bit hotter on 10M.

Compromises, mostly cost-based, forced the use of wide filters. I never experienced any serious QRM due to this. 10M is wide enough to avoid crowding.

Take a look at the Alinco DX-SR8. All mode, remote head mount, sounds decent on AM, plus they are inexpensive new.

Less than $550.00 new.

I like mine and use it daily for 10, 11 plus WARC. Should start seeing these on the used market for way cheap.

Take a look at the Alinco DX-SR8. All mode, remote head mount, sounds decent on AM, plus they are inexpensive new.

Less than $550.00 new.

I like mine and use it daily for 10, 11 plus WARC. Should start seeing these on the used market for way cheap.

Hows the audio on 11 am?

There is audio and there is audio, 11 meters is great to mess with and i have no idea why i still mess with it, I guess a ego still from the 70's, If someone likes screaming Amplitude Modulation that causes IMD from a cheap dirty rig its beyond me. The Johnson Viking Valiant AM transmiiter did a good job and so did some Collins, A Kenwood 480HX has great AM audio when you add a lil DSP to it. So when i go to 11 meters and i key up a 50 watt carrier into my multi tube home brew 8877 amp with Peter Dahl transformers into a 6 element 11 meter yagi at 70 feet and RF Output is 3500 watts dead key carrier and 6KW with swing PEP those CB's don't even sound like Mickey Mouse choking on a chicken bone, Because they just got cover up by a carrier 20-40DB higher. Those splash box cb's are worthless save your money and buy electronics not toys. Just like 20 meters you think all us hams are using the 1500 watts allowed?. If so thats a joke because another AMP i use is a Alpha and a little poke with it passes 1500 watts goodbye too. :LOL:

VIRAGE VX-38

I would have the VIRAGE VX-38(y).I been running one in my cage for about 2 years now,no trouble at all. Ive talked to a guy that does some of my radio work.We talked about 35,40 miles. ON INTERSTATE 81,NORTH AND SOUTH.And the guy i talked to belongs to this site. I cant seem to get alot of INFO. ON THE VX-38 AND VX-68.:confused::D:pop:;):).73s. RAY.

This is a joke right??? RCI 2950DX or the 2970DX and equivalent as they changed the 2970's nomenclature I think. In stock form it cover's 10m and 12m. 11m does not truly exist anymore it is called Citizen Band but I too often call it 11m it just seems stupid to use the m=meter terminology then break that habit just for CB. The RCI 2950 adn 2970 DX are the value leaders in rock solid AM and SSB for what you want to do. The modification is easy to do. I would prob. buy one from Copper Electronics if I was going to get one. I will end up getting one for my son prob. by Christmas for him once he has his Licenses. I have no intention though of making it continuous coverage from 12 through 10 I prefer not to give my son something that might get him trouble by accident for operating out of the Ham bands.

So $248 I think it is out the door.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.