• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10X20 carport antenna

Marty

Feb 13, 2007
Twilight Zone
Since i got back on the air again a friend of mine wanted to get back on the radio also so i let him use my backup radio 4 Watt Cobra 18 WX ST ll and my Vanco trunk mount 4' Kwik Tune antenna. I mounted it at the corner of the carport and his SWR's on a external meter is about 1.4 across the band. So i have two questions do i need to ground the carport to a ground rod and do you think it will interfere with the neighbour's stuff 100 feet away?

thanks in advance for your replies. :D

Marty,
My first thought would be how well does it work? Not too worried about the grounding, etc, if it performs like it normally would. If you feel like it, try grounding the carport. See if it makes a noticable difference. If not, don't worry about it. The carport metal roof will have as much "ground" as a car, if not more! You could always try insulating the metal roof from ground to simulate tires on the car. (PLEASE take pictures if you do!)
Interference with the neighbors? Eh, could be, then again, probably not. 'Nuther one of those try it and see thingys. There are so many different reasons/causes for interference that spending too much worry about it before hand is just wasted worry. You could always move the antenna to the center, rather than one corner. Or change corners to see how 'directional' it is? Or better yet, just tell the neighbor to move... works for me.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

In all seriousness, it sounds as if it's working as well as can be expected.
That 'move' thingy works for me cuz I'm sort of old enough, know how to drool just right, and scratch at odd times that 'they' just don't want any more to do with me than they have to, you know? Hey! It works at 'Wal-Mart' checkout stations too. ;)

I have too say it works pretty good for what it is. He lives about 3/4 of a mile from me and i was getting 9+ s units. The carport has metal post in a concrete slab i tried it in the middle but got an SWR reading of 3. He is friends with his neighbors and they said they was not getting any interference but i told him that he needs to get a real base antenna first then upgrade to a better radio.

Marty,
Then I'd say he's sit'n in tall cotton! First recommendation would be to get the antenna higher (taller carport?). Then it's just a matter of what he thinks he ought'a have as far as radios etc.
- 'Doc

I told him he should have his antenna at least 30 feet at the base to clear the house. The trees around our homes are about 75 -125 feet tall so you can't get over them. The deed restriction are too strict to put it up in one of those pine trees.

My recommendation to him about upgrading his radio was to buy a side band type radio like a Cobra 148 or better but he really needs to buy him self a computer so he can ask you for the great advice i get from this forum. ;) :LOL: :LOL: lol:

Update: I had more time to tune my friend's antenna on that Cobra 18 and his SWR's are flat on a Vanco SWR-3 meter and it reads the same thing on my Uniden 78 XL SWR meter. I had to adjust the whip to it highest setting and twist the tuning ring's to the highest mark also. I am surprised at the results. :LOL: I say if you been out of the CB hobby for a while or just a beginner i say try my little experiment ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.