• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter (cb) free band, mobile diy antenna from s.s.wips/s.s.springs

Mudduckmobile

Oct 5, 2015
S.W. Washington Coast
any help on this. i have 3 s.s. wips , 3s.s .springs, and 20 ft. of 1 1/2 steal box tube.
102 in. wip, spring (rad).
102 in. wip, spring, 8in. extender (ref).
96 in. wip, spring, (dir).
end mounted all.
radiator insulated from steal mount
mounted to top of pick up truck lumber rack.
i have mfj259C to help out.
anyone got some thoughts?

A 102" SS whip with a 4-8" spring is going to work for a CB. They are usually very broadbanded if installed correctly, so it should cover most of the freeband by default. You will probably find this out when you check it with your MFJ analyzer anyway . . .

But if you want to make a beam on a vehicle/truck, It really wouldn't be effective unless it was at least 18 ft off of the ground (in this case, 18 ft above the highest point of your truck). Otherwise, it would lose too much energy due to ground losses. Not to mention, it would be a pain in the butt to tune it so close to so much metal of the vehicle. Better off mounting it as a SS whip was intended. Or build the beam for a base station with a rotor.

Last edited:
Reactions: wavrider
A 102" SS whip with a 4-8" spring is going to work for a CB. They are usually very broadbanded if installed correctly, so it should cover most of the freeband by default. You will probably find this out when you check it with your MFJ analyzer anyway . . .

But if you want to make a beam on a vehicle/truck, It really wouldn't be effective unless it was at least 18 ft off of the ground (in this case, 18 ft above the highest point of your truck). Otherwise, it would lose too much energy due to ground losses. Not to mention, it would be a pain in the butt to tune it so close to so much metal of the vehicle. Better off mounting it as a SS whip was intended. Or build the beam for a base station with a rotor.
Robb, you are right. I run a 102 w/ spring now center mounted on top of ladder rack w/ 8x5.8 ft. copper sheet under it. i was just thinking of trying the "beam" i like to play with antennas. i'm still going to try.....i just need to find a way to kill the ground.

If a mobile beam actually worked every antenna maker would already have one on the market for sale. I'm talking about one that you can drive with, not fold down while moving and set up when in a parking lot.

If a mobile beam actually worked every antenna maker would already have one on the market for sale. I'm talking about one that you can drive with, not fold down while moving and set up when in a parking lot.
I tried my plain, and it was a big no go! but when I moved it up to 20 ft. it worked quite well, I spoke to 1144 N.Z. on 27.38500 lsb. at 3:21pt yesterday after noon with a +20 report from him on his base in Christchurch, NZ. I was running my yeticom optima mklll.
and with 50 w. I will not be using that beam any more as it took 2.5 hrs to set up, i can set up my moxon with the 30ft. push pole faster in the field. I will not let that stop me, as will will come up with a cheep and EZ way to run a mobile beam that works.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.