• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11M questions

Jason W6IEE

Apr 29, 2015
Burbank, CA
w6iee.blogspot.com
Clearly there's many in this group with a lot of CB experience, and while I did drive around with a CB in my car as a goofy 16 year old back when Papa Bush was president, there's a lot I don't know.

First, what significance do the channels have nowadays?

I can clearly see that 6 is "Bruthas runnin' multiple Kilowatts," but some background would be interesting. I've sold some of these guys my Eimac YC-156 MRI machine pulls at TRW, so I know they run some serious hardware. What the hell are they saying? ;) Are they simply just trying to DX like hams do, or are they up to some major conspiracy? ;)

9 of course is the "911 is a joke" pseudo-emergency channel. Does anyone really monitor this one for people in trouble anymore?

And, 19 is the trucker channel, which has in fact come in handy when you want to know why the freeway is stopped.

But what about the rest of them?

Part II, Amplifiers. I know a ton about tube linears, but not so much about transistor amps. I'm really curious about the... uhm... "cheap and dirty engineering" employed. If anyone here is willing to cop to being an amp-building expert, I'd be grateful if I could ask a bunch of questions.

Simply, what is a good "commercial" model that uses one or two uh... "pills" that would be a good design to copy on the workbench? (I'm thinking you have to have at least two, and/or multiples of two, to be Class AB and therefore truly linear.) I'm familiar with the Granberg designs in the Motorola Engineering Bulletins, but I'm betting there were many out there that ran the fewest components possible to save a buck or three.

I swear I'd only be applying this knowledge to 10 meter apparatus!!!

Thanks,
Jason W6IEE
(Looking forward to letting the smoke out of a few poor transistors.)

Clearly there's many in this group with a lot of CB experience, and while I did drive around with a CB in my car as a goofy 16 year old back when Papa Bush was president, there's a lot I don't know.

First, what significance do the channels have nowadays?

Not Much...
Channel 35-40 should be used for SSB only.. especially 27.385LSB or channel
38. but you will find many using AM here as well... most speaking espanol.
this has been an unwritten agreement since the FCC went from 23-40 channels
but this seems long since forgotten...

I can clearly see that 6 is "Bruthas runnin' multiple Kilowatts," but some background would be interesting. I've sold some of these guys my Eimac YC-156 MRI machine pulls at TRW, so I know they run some serious hardware. What the hell are they saying? ;) Are they simply just trying to DX like hams do, or are they up to some major conspiracy? ;)

Channel 6 is known as the Super Bowl. Yes.. them do talk long distance there,
but more importantly is the TOP DOG status or test.. being able to have capture
control... sorta works like that on certain repeaters around so cal too.... <clears throat>

9 of course is the "911 is a joke" pseudo-emergency channel. Does anyone really monitor this one for people in trouble anymore?

I believe in some rural areas channel 9 is still monitored and you can find help.
Now in So cal.. . Fo'get about it... So Cal React has long been gone and you will
not find help on channel 9...

And, 19 is the trucker channel, which has in fact come in handy when you want to know why the freeway is stopped.

But what about the rest of them?

Part II, Amplifiers. I know a ton about tube linears, but not so much about transistor amps. I'm really curious about the... uhm... "cheap and dirty engineering" employed. If anyone here is willing to cop to being an amp-building expert, I'd be grateful if I could ask a bunch of questions.

Simply, what is a good "commercial" model that uses one or two uh... "pills" that would be a good design to copy on the workbench? (I'm thinking you have to have at least two, and/or multiples of two, to be Class AB and therefore truly linear.) I'm familiar with the Granberg designs in the Motorola Engineering Bulletins, but I'm betting there were many out there that ran the fewest components possible to save a buck or three.

I swear I'd only be applying this knowledge to 10 meter apparatus!!!

You will want to stay Class AB biased in amplification for HF SSB operations...
you can find schematics in ARRL handbook or publications.... and on the web...
There are a few decent band switched solid state amps on the market that do a
very good job of linear amplification without spurious emmisions...Some are having
good luck and low spurious emmisions with mosfet circuitry as well.... That ain't gonna happen with a Sweet 16 or a Dave Made.

So again I say,, Fo'get about it !!!

Bryan, K6BIG

Thanks,
Jason W6IEE
(Looking forward to letting the smoke out of a few poor transistors.)

You'd get a lot more responses to this thread if you made it in one of the CB sections.

Back in its heyday; Ch 9 was used by "React". If you look up "React" online, you will see that they still exist and looking for volunteers for local programs. Not a bad idea, since so many truckers already use a CB - not to mention that an increasing amount of regular people going back to CBs for the fun of it - make radio a bit more crowded once again . . .

I initially asked here as I value the opinions of Scrappers higher than others. ;)

Seems the local rag chew channel around the eastern San Fernando Valley is 12. Worked Mississippi and Kentucky on 12 AM as the sun was setting in the last couple weeks, have not worked anyone on SSB yet, though I have heard lots of Australians and Hawaiians.

Whats this whole "World Radio" prefix thing?

Just got a little AM mobile installed in the truck, and got an echo mic for it, caw mon! ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.