• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11meter tube transceiver?

If you're in the US, it's legally impossible unless you manage to get It certificated before you put it on the air. Hams can build their own ham-band equipment; CBers can't, and all Part 95 equipment must be certificated.

Old copies of the ARRL Manual should have articles about 10-meter transmitters for homebrewing - maybe transceivers too. Finding parts would be a major obstacle.

If you're in the US, it's legally impossible unless you manage to get It certificated before you put it on the air. Hams can build their own ham-band equipment; CBers can't, and all Part 95 equipment must be certificated.

Old copies of the ARRL Manual should have articles about 10-meter transmitters for homebrewing - maybe transceivers too. Finding parts would be a major obstacle.

Dang Beetle...didnt know that..learn something new everyday...since getting my tech a few years back I have seen alot of home brew via internet and got to thinking about a 11m project...dissapointing

Most of the early 60's designs were only multi-channel set-ups...
E. F. Johnson "White Face" and "Black Face" were my Fav's (still have like 4 black face models)
Citi-Fone (Multi-Elmac) 99...was another good one...(still have a couple of SS models also)...
Halicrafter and Lafayette Radio also....
GOOGLE is your friend...
"OLD CB Radios"....
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: BBB
Most of the early 60's designs were only multi-channel set-ups...
E. F. Johnson "White Face" and "Black Face" were my Fav's (still have like 4 black face models)
Citi-Fone (Multi-Elmac) 99...was another good one...(still have a couple of SS models also)...
Halicrafter and Lafayette Radio also....
GOOGLE is your friend...
"OLD CB Radios"....
All the Best
Gary

Yes the black/white face Johnson was where I got my idea from

Back in those days, the design was different by a long shot and separate transmit and receive crystals were needed for each channel. With all 23 channels installed that was 46 crystals for a few bucks each so all 23 back then was pretty expensive! Even with VFO receive, 23 transmit crystals is still pretty pricey for many back then.

In 1965, Heathkit had the GW-14 mobile rig. It came with just one channel. The kit was $89.95 and factory built it was $124.95. A complete set of crystals added $79.95 to the cost.

One trip to a ham swap meet and you would probably find several inexpensive older tube CB radios being sold that are very inexpensive. They may need some repair which could be a fun adventure for you. At least, all the basic work is done already and it would be less expensive to repair or restore an old rig than to chase down and buy all the parts you'd need to build one from scratch.
About a year or so ago I bought a Lafayette Comstat 25B in excellent condition for $10 at a local hamfest. Later I found a Comstat 25A for $5 in very good condition. Both work just fine. I sure didn't expect them to work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.