• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12 volt conversion for galaxy turbo

Sure.

Remove the top cover. At the rear, just left of center, you'll see the power-supply regulator circuit board with a row of wires plugged onto pins at the front-facing edge of the board. At the far right-front corner of this board, is a skinny red teflon-insulated wire, and a fatter vinyl-insulated orange wire. These are the two positive wires. The orange one goes to the power switch, and from there to the main radio circuit board. The skinny one goes to power the linear. Pull them from the board, tie them together, and connect to the (fused?) positive side of your external supply. Easiest way to connect the negative side is to put a ring terminal on your external negative-side wire, and add it under the ring lugs bolted to one of the large filter capacitors' negative side. Same side as the existing black wires are bolted to.

Since the internal supply is borderline "suicidal" when left stock, using an external supply will probably be more reliable. Since the internal supply has NO protection for EITHER excess current NOR for excess voltage, the external supply is definitely less a hazard to the radio or the linear. When the big metal transistors on the built-in supply fail, they tend to become a dead short inside. This places the unregulated 22 or 23 Volts onto the radio and linear. They never last for long once this happens.

And if your external supply doesn't have both over-voltage AND current limiting, you've only jumped from the frying pan to the fire.

Good luck and 73

I USE TO RUN ALL MY BASES THAT WAY EXSPECIALLY THE RCI GALAXY TYPES MY GALAXY SATURNS RAN ALOT SMOOTHER THAT WAY.I ALSO RUN MY COBRA 2000 RADOS THAT WAY THEY ALSO RUN SMOOTHER BEST PART WAS THE 3 PIN PANEL POWER JACK ALREADY BEING THERE

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.