• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12ax7

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I need a 12ax7. Has anyone used or know of anyone who's used any mullard reissue new tubes and if so are they any good? I'm gonna replace the 12at7 audio driver in one of my 2340's.
Tramdr had to replace a bad 12at7 in a 2340 and had very good results with a 12ax7..
I wanna give it a try. The mullard is about $18 including shipping on eBay. 73

Not in a radio, but out of all the 12ax7 tubes I've tried in my epiphone valve jr guitar amp I liked the realistic lifetime tube sound the best.

Mesa Engineering (Mesa Boogie) SPax7's are amazing tubes. They are used in high end audio amplification devices, and are very high gain. They are a little pricey at 22 bucks a tube, but if you want the extra gain and audio clarity, you can't beat them.

~Cheers~

I wouldn't get stuck on brand names like most people do or pay ridiculous prices for supposedly American made tubes. There are plenty of tubes like Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix, and even Groove tubes are mostly Chinese made these days will work just fine.

Guitar players fall for the same hype and clever advertising by their guitar hero's endorsers.

12AX7 tubes are driver tubes for guitar amps and driver tubes for some radios. I seriously doubt a blindfold test anyone could tell the difference.

If you have a well stocked music store in your home town, chances are they have some 12AX7 tubes on the shelf you can buy locally for less than $20.00.

Most of the 12AX7s in current production do not meet the old RCA standards for output and transconductance. They also tend to have more white noise than do the 12AX7s from the reputable tube companies of yesteryear, e.g.: Philips, GE, Sylvania, RCA, Mullard, Bugle Boy, etc. Some new production 12AX7s sound very good, but many will not deliver the quality tone you will get out of 12AX7 made in the golden era of tube production.

5751s were built for the military. By design they had gain factor of 70. The 12AX7 had 100. Spec. transconductance values were also a little lower - I believe 1200 instead of 1600. That said, I have a whole batch of JAN (Joint Army Navy) Philips 5751s from the 1980s that test out in 12AX7 range in all values. 1980s production from GE and Philips are still available, but they are becoming increasingly scarce. The current production 5751s are far inferior to the old 5751s.

The RCA "Command Series" 5751 goes for a premium. Also much sought out is the GE "5 Star." No need to spend that kind of $. My personal favorites were the Sylvanias. That said, the 1980s GE and Philips are very good tubes and are still very available.

12AX7 and 12AT7 have notably different values. Subbing a 5751 for a 12AX7 is usually very safe. Subbing a 12AT7 for a 12AX7 may not be. But if you simply need to replace a 12AT7, many of the 1980s production ones are readily available at very reasonable prices. The Philips 12AT7, the Mullard CV4024, the GE 12AT7: all are very good. Personally, I think the Philips is extremely reliable and rugged

Groove Tubes does not manufacture tubes. They buy Sovteks, JJs, Shuguangs and others, test them, and then put a Groove Tubes logo on them. Mesa does the same thing - mostly using Shuguang tubes. The old Radio Shack lifetime warranty tubes were mostly left over Soviet military stock. The current civilian version of most of those tubes are today's Sovteks.

The Mullard reissues of today are actually made in the Sovtek factory in Saratov, Russia.

In trying a 12AT7 to replace a 12AX7, it sounds like you are wanting lesser gain. It is probably safer to get there by using a 5751 instead of a 12AT7. In terms of cost effectiveness, your best bet is probably to get your hands on a 1980s production Philips 5751 or GE 5751.

Last edited:
The realistic 12ax7 tubes I've seen were either japanese or korean.

I don't know about Korean, but I have seen reviews where folks reported that they had some Matsushita tubes sold under the Radio Shack brand. I never saw any of those myself.

I bought a few tubes when Radio Shack was promoting them. All of the ones I purchased were Sovteks.

Most of the 12AX7s in current production do not meet the old RCA standards for output and transconductance. They also tend to have more white noise than do the 12AX7s from the reputable tube companies of yesteryear, e.g.: Philips, GE, Sylvania, RCA, Mullard, Bugle Boy, etc. Some new production 12AX7s sound very good, but many will not deliver the quality tone you will get out of 12AX7 made in the golden era of tube production.

5751s were built for the military. By design they had gain factor of 70. The 12AX7 had 100. Spec. transconductance values were also a little lower - I believe 1200 instead of 1600. That said, I have a whole batch of JAN (Joint Army Navy) Philips 5751s from the 1980s that test out in 12AX7 range in all values. 1980s production from GE and Philips are still available, but they are becoming increasingly scarce. The current production 5751s are far inferior to the old 5751s.

The RCA "Command Series" 5751 goes for a premium. Also much sought out is the GE "5 Star." No need to spend that kind of $. My personal favorites were the Sylvanias. That said, the 1980s GE and Philips are very good tubes and are still very available.

12AX7 and 12AT7 have notably different values. Subbing a 5751 for a 12AX7 is usually very safe. Subbing a 12AT7 for a 12AX7 may not be. But if you simply need to replace a 12AT7, many of the 1980s production ones are readily available at very reasonable prices. The Philips 12AT7, the Mullard CV4024, the GE 12AT7: all are very good. Personally, I think the Philips is extremely reliable and rugged

Groove Tubes does not manufacture tubes. They buy Sovteks, JJs, Shuguangs and others, test them, and then put a Groove Tubes logo on them. Mesa does the same thing - mostly using Shuguang tubes. The old Radio Shack lifetime warranty tubes were mostly left over Soviet military stock. The current civilian version of most of those tubes are today's Sovteks.

The Mullard reissues of today are actually made in the Sovtek factory in Saratov, Russia.

In trying a 12AT7 to replace a 12AX7, it sounds like you are wanting lesser gain. It is probably safer to get there by using a 5751 instead of a 12AT7. In terms of cost effectiveness, your best bet is probably to get your hands on a 1980s production Philips 5751 or GE 5751.
I wanna swap the 12at7 for a 12ax7. Tramdr did the swap in his sonar F's 2340 with excellent results. The 12at7's in both my 2340's are fine. I want to see if I get the same results he did. He didn't mention if the quality was better but he got much more audio pep wise. I'm gonna purchase a 12ax7 and check out the results. I don't experiment much but it's a simple swap and if the results aren't satisfactory I'll put the 12at7 back in place. Thanks. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.