• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12V Lead Acid Batteries and how they respond to voltage and current in charging?

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So during the last great pre-pandemic bail out in the USA I was downsized from General Motors Engineering Department Service Parts NAO. In just a few short days after leaving GM I had my own shiny new parts store I ran for 2 years before taking over a region for a while. Gone was the high blood pressure, the compulsive hand washing and ulcer almost over night. Everyday was like a vacation!

They had a 240 amp battery charger in back. It was fully automated enclosed and also tested as it charged. It was not a switcher either.

So other than the boiling point of the electrolyte and the temperature at which the plates will be destroyed what is the rate limiter to how much current the lead acid battery can accept in any give amount of time?

240 amps seemed like a bit much. This charger if it made it past 15 minutes for the full 45-60 minutes charge cycle the battery normally was fine and we never saw the customer again for a battery. If a battery was truly bad the machine would normally reveal that inside the first 15 minutes usually under 5 minutes. We would take a battery from that rapid charger and test it with another automated tester that was a fair bit more sophisticated than Midtronics unit that tested under some rather sophisticated loads completely automated.

On top of this back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth and large heavy steel and copper transformers ruled the earth battery chargers often had some pretty seriously high voltage above 12V. Todays little 4amp trickle chargers often have various pulse modes that will go up to at least 15V.

Many of the Toyota's I have owned especially in the 1980's and 1990's would float at 14.7-15.5 volts as a norm not a sign of a dish charged battery do to short trips and incomplete charge. Most of my GM cars would hit 14.5V cold but would quickly drop to 13.8. My mom owned a Plymouth Laser 1991/1992 that if you did not drive it enough to keep the battery nicely charged would run between 17v-19v trying to keep the battery charged and that ate batteries like crazy. She only drove it 2 miles to work and 2 miles home and when she got a company car it was even worse.

So what is the sweet spot for automotive 12V lead acid start/run batteries? What is the ragged edge? What is the limit before you start to damage them? How does one actual know real time what the health is of the battery?

As a young automotive technician prior to going off to college back in the 1980's in Germany we had to test the entire battery for voltage and current, specific gravity and we had to check voltage of each cell. Only if 2 or more cells where bad did we warranty the battery. Of course we had to have the proper water level and the battery had to be charged over night before the test's could be conducted.

I know this is a lot to ask about. That said I have never seen a good write up on these topics. When I come across anything it is written at a level on par with a what I would expect from a graduate student writing a technical paper and is so condition specific as to not be of much use to anyone not at that level. They are normally industry level white papers.

It would be great to have to a better understanding of the lead acid start/run battery it's best practices and what is realistic in it's care and feeding and rehabilitation for best possible life expectancy. Not a white paper aimed at Electrical Engineer's!

Thanks in advance! Not an Electrical Engineer! Long live J. C. Maxwell

Last edited:

You might want to research the efforts done by NiMH creator - but to keep it on a more basic term.

The charge rate of the battery - is the resistance within the cells - which changes when the battery accepts charge - has to be approached with the notion that the loading of the system - the voltage applied to battery to overcome that resistance has to be high enough (enough potential) to forward bias the batteries' cells own required voltage to overcome its internal resistance - times the number of cells in the battery.

To apply that to current - the issue of having the right amount of voltage to overcome the cells own resistance is the biggest variable. Because the cells own internal resistance appearance changes as it accepts charge.

As you know a dead battery or discharged one - looks like a dead short - so there is room for a lot of current that can be applied - but not all at once.

So the CCA rating of the battery can give a rough rule of thumb - that number - divided by 10 - is about the maximum current to apply safely to that battery so the cells won't boil or heat up excessively

So if the batteries CCA is 660CCA - then think of it as a charge rate of about 66 Amps is safe. 660 / 10 = 66A

As far as voltage?

IT usually goes the required voltage to push the power into the battery at any given time - is the "V" in the Ohms law stuff, I = V/R

So to keep the voltage high enough - the "seen" resistance appears low, because there is a lot of current pulled into the battery to recharge it.

How far do you want to go with this?

Outside?
In a dirt lot with 100 foot extension cord maybe?
I have seen the result of a battery explode at work, we did not see it, heard a thump and walked out to see battery acid splatter dripping off the wall and most of the top gone.
No thanks, I will go buy a new battery before I get that crazy....

Jeff

Reactions: sunbulls
Outside?
In a dirt lot with 100 foot extension cord maybe?
I have seen the result of a battery explode at work, we did not see it, heard a thump and walked out to see battery acid splatter dripping off the wall and most of the top gone.
No thanks, I will go buy a new battery before I get that crazy....

Jeff

Several years ago I was working on the old ride-on lawn mower. I had the engine compartment hood up and was standing in front and slightly to the side of it. I reached over to start it and as soon as I turned the key BANG!! The battery exploded. It blew the entire top off the battery and threw acid all over the engine compartment and ME! You want to see someone move fast! It burned like hell and ruined my shirt and pants but no other issues. After cleaning myself up I turned the water hose onto the mower to flush everything out good. That is something I never want to experience again let me tell you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.