• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

13-16 volt power supply

Nov 2, 2015
I'd like to build my own 15 vdc power supply by using those small 30 amp modules. I have been looking around but can't find any good plans. I don't care if it's virable as long as it will do 15 to 15.5 volts. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks

MegaWatt Power Supplies will do that with no problem. I found that out when bridging two of those through a Diode Isolator. The adjustment POT is some what coarse and a little twitch on the pot goes a long way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
MegaWatt Power Supplies will do that with no problem. I found that out when bridging two of those through a Diode Isolator. The adjustment POT is some what coarse and a little twitch on the pot goes a long way.

I have the 50 amp megawatts, but thay won't go above 13.9 volts. I have been told that the 50 amp ones can't be adjusted out to 15.5 volts, but the smaller ones can.

What type of diode isolator did you use?

What type of diode isolator did you use?
I purchased it from MegaWatt power supply. It is nothing more than one of those battery Isolators used in RV Motor Homes. I looked around to see if I find one locally cheaper and I couldn't find cheaper one anywhere.
The 50 amp supplies don't need an isolator because they work in a master/slave arrangement.
But you are correct the 30/36 amp units will turn up to 15 volts plus.

The megawatts or any of those small type module power supplies. The box I want to use works best at 15.5 volts. It would use about 65 to 75 amps at that voltage.

OK when you said "build" I thought you meant actually BUILD and not simply wire up a couple already manufactured units in parallel. Using multiple units with a diode isolator will result in a voltage drop thru the diode of between 0.7 and 1.0 volts so keep that ion mind when setting the final output voltage. You may not be able to achieve the desired 15-15.5 voltage at the box. Running two 50 amp Megawatt units in parallel as a master/slave configuration will result in approx. 13.9 volts whereas running three 30/36 amp units will result in approx. 15 volts minus the diode voltage drop for an output of 14-14.3 volts which is not much different than the first case however it is likely more expensive and certainly involves more wiring and heatsinking of the diodes. If it were me I would go with a pair of 50's and forget about the small difference in voltage. You might see a few watts less on a meter but nobody on the end ever will see the small difference in power.

Reactions: Tallman and 222DBFL
The diode isolator is assembled as a finished plug and play item, and most of them use Schottkey diodes for lower voltage drop and less dissapation.

48070.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.