• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148 noise problem help needed

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
have a 148 made in philly that is picking up alt whine while all my other radios don't

i can take the antenna off with all my other radios and no whine but the 148 picks it

even with a 10.000 cap on the +and - leads any body else seen this kind of problem

even with the noise blanker all the way up no change.

have a 148 made in philly that is picking up alt whine while all my other radios don't

i can take the antenna off with all my other radios and no whine but the 148 picks it

even with a 10.000 cap on the +and - leads any body else seen this kind of problem

even with the noise blanker all the way up no change.

Jose, If you hear the whine with the antenna disconnected it's probably alternator ripple on the DC power line. Using a 10,000 mfd cap across the power wire is a good start but you will need an inductor / choke in series with the positive wire before the cap to make an effective filter here. Radio Shack use to sell a little yellow transformer looking device with two wires that made a good inductor for DC. You may have to buy the entire 20 amp filter if they don't have that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.