• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148 vs Export Radio - Why?

Ace_King_21

Jun 1, 2016
I am wondering why people like export 10 meter radios so much? I mean the specs for a 148 are as good or better than many of the so called high end export.

any truck stop can add freq's to the 148 and a two pill amp makes it an export.

some how robot voice and echo/echo depth knobs don't really seem like real adjustments.

So my question is why spend 400+ on a radio when a slightly modded 148 will be the same as a
very expensive export?

From what I understand the current versions of the 148 are crap but then so are most exports. Tough choice, crap or crap...(I know there are good Cb's and good exports but they are few and far between)

Reactions: Old_Crow
thank you..I have read that the new 148 is crap - I meant to say the older 148 with the mic connector on the side and 1/4 watt resistors

Reactions: Old_Crow
I can't say why people like export radios. I can only say why I like them. First off, you don't have to hack anything to get more freq's, except to undo the factory 11m lock out. Twice the amount of output power or more - too. Most come with built-in freq counters. When I used to use the free band, it was very convenient to use/have. They also have FM; sometimes that came in handy.

thanks robb - thats about what I thought Im in the market to get a new setup and I wanted to get the best for the investment.

Being not impressed with watts and I only need to cover 26-28 I think given what you have said I am leaning to the older 148 and get a nice tube amp.

Reactions: 2RT307
Ace, you nailed it 100%.

For CB band use, a CB radio will do better than an export. Sure, the exports have more power, but they're running in an area they're not designed to run in (27mhz VS. 28-29.7mhz). Over the years of working on CB's and exports, I've learned that exports generally do not have as good RX on CB band compared to a CB radio, and on TX, due to a poor mixing design, the exports produce an RF "spur" in 28 mhz.... right in the 10M ham band.

I run strictly CB equipment on CB band, and the stuff I run works fantastic. Get a good SSB CB base or mobile of your choice, get all the electrolytic capacitors replaced if need be, get a good alignment, and run it. You'll TX and RX much better on the band.

Just my .02 worth. :)

~Cheers~

I didn't know all that but thanks for even more info!! I did consider a 2000 but the cost is to high for an almost 148.

One more question about common exports.
Is it true that the commonly frequency counters on exports only read 1 of the signals inside the radio and assume the other to be spot on? I mean isn't there 2 signals that get magically mixed to make 27mhz? if you only read one signal does that mean your freq counter would be off as well if siganl 2 isnt right on?

Thanks Exit 13

I meant to say the 148 is almost a 2000 - not trying to dis a 2000 my sentence was backwards

Thanks for all your replys - I have learned quite alot in just a few hours which was not possible on another forum.

I do read posts from others and only wonder if this is real and if yes how is it done?
http://worldwidedx.com/threads/experimental-audio-mod-cobra-2000-covertered-to-low-level-am.198289/

Last edited:
seems space cowboys response is only to cover up the fact he/she doesn't know jack -- thanks for your retarded reply

well aren't you a putz. I post what I like more about the galaxy radios, which is a valid answer to the questions you asked, and you start shit?
oh well, I suppose I shouldn't expect anything better than that from someone who doesn't even know what part of the radio to talk into.

I'm sure you don't even realize that the questions you asked are purely subjective. Nothing about better receive or transmit that are verifiable by actual measurements, simply why do they buy them.
dumbass.

no, specs published by the manufactures

Those arent subjective but questionable

as far as an export is concerned they barley keep up with the 148 - in specs. who cares about the meter, the robot voice and echo or the 8 watts that hardly makes a difference over 4 watts.

Im concered with a clean runinng transmitter, a good receiver that is worth being modded, no wobble on SSB and a freq counter that actually displays the freq ur on.

If its not a CB why does it have a 40 channel selector - some dont but many do. dipstick

perhaps if you werent so pompous you may have taken the time to write a response that contained information. your view on the meter is subjective.

i
So please enlighten me with your vast wisdom and prove me a putz

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.