• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

.17 Winchester Super Magnum

I saw this posted on another forum. I have a Savage .17 HMR with a BSA sweet 17 variable scope. Talk about fun. I bet the magnum will take down a deer.

i'm in, prefer a semi auto

hope the ammo cost will be decent since they are repurposing shells from a power fastener 27 cal

I have the Marlin 17hmr...very nice rifle and a great round,the super mag from what I have read is supposed to be hard hitting rimfire,about 400 pound feet of knockdown and close to 3000 fps .....that is a screaming little round

From what I have read ammo should be a couple of dollars more than the 17hmr ammo.

Winchester has a rifle that is being used for testing and the reports sound promising so far. I will be seriously looking at one of these for my personal collection if a bolt action rifle comes out

i can live with a few dollars more on the cost of the ammo, for what this round will do.

i may no longer have a use for the .17 hmr or the .22 mag, even though i love these two rounds! Unless if they can't make a semi-auto work, then I would keep my semi-auto .17hmr and get a bolt action in the .17 winchester super magnum.

here is a quote from the article-and I like the idea of 2 different grain bullets.

"The new load from Winchester spits out the 20-grainer at 3,000 fps and a 25-grain load at 2,600 fps with energy levels right at 400 ft. lbs. and 375 ft. lbs. respectively—150 pounds more than the 17 HMR and solid 60 foot pounds more than the hottest .22 Winchester Magnum loading!"

Reactions: 1 person
I saw pics of the 17 super mag grouping that were under 1 inch at 100 yards....that is great grouping for any round.

I can get 1.25 inch groups with my hummer at that range

but the knockdown is what really amazes me,400 foot pounds would flip a cyote without any trouble,and I bet at 200 to 250 yards would still put down a cyote with good shot placement.

before I would go out and buy a rifle in that round I would have to see what kind of real world reports come back from users.

I small game hunt alot,rabbits and squirrels...the 17 hmr is almost to much ,a head shot is a must to have any meat left.Dropped a grey squirrel at just under 100 yards and a 20 grain fmj all but cut the little bushy tail in half.

And I do know at about 127 steps it will drop a cyote with no trouble.The 17 grain Winchester grey poly tips do some serious damage.Not to mention that rifle is just fun to shoot

A semi auto would be nice. I expect Savage will be one of the first to bring a rifle chambered for this round along with Winchester. Savage will most likely make it a bolt action.

I'm sure I'll pass on any offering from Winchester.

In rounds like the hmr and the upcoming 17 supermag i prefer a bolt action.

But I will admit a semi auto would be nice as well

Savage has a good history of being one of the first to make a rifle for a new round,and they do make a nice rifle,quality is always there for the price

I saw pics of the 17 super mag grouping that were under 1 inch at 100 yards....that is great grouping for any round.

I can get 1.25 inch groups with my hummer at that range

but the knockdown is what really amazes me,400 foot pounds would flip a cyote without any trouble,and I bet at 200 to 250 yards would still put down a cyote with good shot placement.

before I would go out and buy a rifle in that round I would have to see what kind of real world reports come back from users.

I small game hunt alot,rabbits and squirrels...the 17 hmr is almost to much ,a head shot is a must to have any meat left.Dropped a grey squirrel at just under 100 yards and a 20 grain fmj all but cut the little bushy tail in half.

And I do know at about 127 steps it will drop a cyote with no trouble.The 17 grain Winchester grey poly tips do some serious damage.Not to mention that rifle is just fun to shoot

Are you using hollow points or ballistic tip. I took a lot of squirrels last year with the .17hmr ballistic tips and inadvertently got a few body hits, and yeah it can do some damage but you just have to eat whats left, it's all good!

you would not figure that the .17 cal would open up that much flesh it being narrower, i guess it's the higher velocity and foot pounds at impact vs a .22.

Squirrels are REAL fast! and perhaps the .17 super mag is going to be a bit too much. If and when i acquire one I will test out on small game and see the damage.

I generally use the 17 grain poly tip rounds in the Winchester HV 2550 fps,I do also have some CCI 20 grain fmj,those two round for me fly almost the same,close enough not to reset scope for the different rounds out to about 70 yards...

For my rifle the hollow points wont feed properly...it just dont like those rounds so I tend to stay away from them

i can't remember having any problems with cci 17 grain hollow points(use for coons sometimes) shooting the remington 597 semi auto here.

the soft points i started using towards the end of the season do appear to be a little better at penetrating and not expanding so quickly upon hitting tissue, but i need to finish that box of shells next year (i have shot 10 rounds out of it)

also have read there is a 15 grain bullet produced, but i have not attempted to buy any, nor do i know if it is readily available or what it costs.

There is a Lead free 15 grain round that I have heard of as well,and from the reports I have been reading it is not a good round.Several users have said cant get good groups at 100 yards,2 inch plus groups.... These are folks that are used to getting sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards...if their rifles dont like that ammo I am not going to waste my money

I would like to try the soft point some time if I can locate any in my local area.Just finding ammo these days is hard enough to do...I think I am going to buy a 400 round tin in a few weeks...maybe a couple of them

hard to say if the 15 grain round grouping is due to tolerances in production (i doubt they are match grade) or some other variable like perhaps the wind-even though the 17hmr is not supposed to be affected by it, but i do a small amount of range shooting myself, i mostly shoot at game,

if i find some 15 grainers, i will surely try out in the field, especially on small game-rabbits and squirrels. should be interesting to experiment with

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.