• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 1/2 dead key...15 watts of audio.

that power supply you are using is perfect for that amp

What you are saying is that this MOSFET devices in this amp are more efficient with current than bipolar transistors and can get 450 watts SSB with just 30 amps? Looks like the amp mfr specs bear this out too. Don't know how that plays out in the real world, but the 13 amps per 100w output usually works as the rule.

Interesting and inexpensive amp.

no I doubt you will see 450 watt out of it... I have messed with this amp, and it's little brother the kl-203

the KL-203 does around 150 and has 4 RM3 mosfets, I can tell you that the kl-203 draws less than 15 amps at full swing, this was testing it right here at the house. However that means that the RM3 is capable of close to 37.5 watts per mosfet...

So the KL-503 is really only capable of around 300 real watts. Th KL-503 is not going to make 450 watts... maybe 350 watts and 100+ watts of harmonics.

If the KL-503 made 450 watts it would be making over 56 watts per mosfet, that is just not going to happen

Hi guys,

Just wanted to chime in here cause one of the questions that Hammer asked was if he could use his two MegaWatt power supplies in parallel to get more amps...

The answer unfortunately is no, but, if you had 2 of the exact same MegaWatt PS you can. Per the seller that first started selling these supplies they need to be exact and you will need a battery isolator on the negative side of the PS so the 2 PS will operate in tandem. I found this out by asking and doing this. It works well and needs minimal adjustment to equalize the loads. Honestly, the one 36 amp MegaWatt PS will run this amp ok as it will not or should not draw more than 30 amps as there are 3 10 amp fuses inside the KL-503.

If you want to figure output power by the primary input voltage and current draw (no matter what device is used for amplification) it's much simpler to do all the power measuring in the same kind of units. That means 'avg' power NOT PEP. Then you can make efficiency determinations of the amplifying device (mosfets) that are reasonable.
A 450 watt output with only a 30 amp draw at 12 volts is not going to be possible unless the amplifier is more than commonly efficient (don't hold your breath!).
Primary power is determined by the supply voltage times the current draw, P = E * I, or any of the algebraic variation of that formula. (You can't measure DC using Pep, so don't bother.) So, 30A X 12V = 360 watts input power. Like it or not, the average amplifier is doing really good if it's 50% efficient. So, divide that 360 watts by 2 and you get 180 watts possible for the output. Plus or minus amybe 10% is a reasonable 'fudge factor' so about 150 watts to about 200 watts output is possible (take the low number it's more likely). Follow that all the way through and you can see that 450 watts output is 'advertising', not something you should expect to see. Typical 'seller' or manufacturer B.S., you know? It's really that simple.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.