• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2/70 Mobile/Base Station Rig.

Sep 4, 2012
Hey I am looking to get a nice mobile rig that has the option to be powered by an AC adapter, should I just pick on I like (Yaseu 8800) and get a AC-DC house power inverter? Or am I better off finding a mobile rig that has a manufacturer supported AC power option?

99% of the people out there run a mobile radio with a power supply ..You will spend less money doing that and get the same results as using a radio that is plug into the wall and play...

I dare you to go out and find a 2m/70cm radio that simply plugs into the wall for base operation. Most manufacturers have their own line of power supplies to power their gear,most of which are geared to match the HF line of radios. Nothing says that you have to use them. Any clean source of 12 volts will do.For power supplies I use two different TripLite power supplies,one 40 amps the other 7.5 amps, and a Motorola 25 amp supply that was intended to be used with their line of mobile radios. I use it as a simple multi purpose power supply.

most ham radios (not counting the older tube driven units) need a 12v source, they do it so they can be used in emergency situations where power is unavailable. they could have done both options like many of the cb radios have but it becomes more unlikely that they will have the proper equipment needed in an emergency to run it.

Actually most hams have a common heavy 12 volt supply to run muliple pieces of gear off of and have no need nor desire to pay extra for gear with build-in AC power supplies especially when it adds to the size of the equipment as well as the cost.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.