• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meters and murs antenna in one

Base or mobile?

Hard to get an antenna that broadband however the Comet CA-2x4SR will do it for a mobile antenna. It was built to be broadband and covers 2m/70cm as well as a large chunk of both bands above and below the ham bands. The "SR: designation stands for "Search and Rescue" and the antenna was designed for hams who are also involved in S&R and used frequencies adjacent to the ham bands. I have one and it is good from somewhere below 2m,not sure as I never really checked, to about 160 MHz with an acceptable SWR. It covers 152-156 MHz very nicely.

I once built a vertical dipole out of large coffee cans for base use that was veeeeerrrrryyyyy broad-banded.

Reactions: 1 person
Base or mobile?

Hard to get an antenna that broadband however the Comet CA-2x4SR will do it for a mobile antenna. It was built to be broadband and covers 2m/70cm as well as a large chunk of both bands above and below the ham bands. The "SR: designation stands for "Search and Rescue" and the antenna was designed for hams who are also involved in S&R and used frequencies adjacent to the ham bands. I have one and it is good from somewhere below 2m,not sure as I never really checked, to about 160 MHz with an acceptable SWR. It covers 152-156 MHz very nicely.

He's right about the Comet 2 X 4. I know of no other antenna that will do both. They really are wide banded. You will find that if you have a really good SWR on 2/440, the far ends may be at 2 to 1 or a little higher.
I use one for 2/440, tuned for those freqs and GMRS is a little under 2 to 1 and works great. The antennas are real talker also, I would not trade for another and found it a little better than the Larson it replaced and the Larson is a darn good antenna.

73's John KF7VXA

For Vertical polarization: a broadbanded DISCONE will give you, 2m, MURS, WX, Marine, Police/Fire, Commercial VHF, as well as UHF possibly as high as 1.2 GHz and/or as low as 50 MHz, depending on brand/construction.

For Horizontal polarization: an LPDA (i.e. Tennadyne or equivalent).

Discones work GREAT, but they don't offer anything in the way of Gain.

Discones are a bitch to keep on the vehicle at highway speeds though. Still they are better than a LPDA however.Plus you don't have to worry about signal drop outs when cornering. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.