• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2000GTL radios for sale on ebay

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
Hi all,

one of my saved searches on ebay is for the 2000GTL base station.
i like to see what's for sale for what price, what kind of custom 2000's are being offered, etc...

Over the past few years i've noticed a large number of 2000's that are being offered for 700 dollars or more, with some even over 1500 dollars.

I think that this has led to a false impression of the value of these radios.

Just because you see a radio for sale on ebay with a very high price, doesn't mean anyone is actually paying that much for them.

There is a search function on ebay that allows you to only see radios that have actually been sold, and what they sold for.

I do this about once a month or so, and it gives you a VERY different impression of what a 2000GTL radio is actually worth.

The majority of 2000's on ebay sell for about 250-300 dollars.

some go for up to 450 dollars if they seem to light up and don't have a hole drilled in the face plate.

Seeing a 2000 go for more than that is extremely rare.

yes, just this month, it seems that someone bought a 2000 from ol' superhawk for about 2500 dollars, but i believe there may be more going on there than meets the eye.

There was a 2000 in the box that sold for 1500 dollars, but that's the only one i've seen go for even close to that much in two years.
again, this may or may not be a legit purchase.

One thing i NEVER see sold is a completely customized 2000GTL going for a high price.
those just don't seem to sell, and the ads just eventually disappear.

I only bring this up because I have many conversations with people on the phone where they want a bunch of custom work to be done on a 2000 (or madison etc...) and when i tell them just how much it's going to cost, people say "well i can sell it for more than that on ebay if i ever need to."

I have to tell them that the chances of that are actually pretty low, and i have had people back out when they find that out.

I would hope that anyone out there doing expensive custom work to these radios would be upfront about the fact that the radio is only going to be worth that much money to the person who paid to have the work done, and they shouldn't be considered an 'investment'.

so, expect a "for parts" 2000 that seems fully intact to go for about 250 dollars.

expect a "pre-owned" 2000 that is shown working in the pictures to go for 300-400 dollars depending on a few factors.

and always expect that if you have a very nice 2000 and want a good deal of money for it, that your ad will sit for a long time and there is a good chance no one will bite.

all that said, the speakers still seem to go for 100-200 dollars by themselves LOL.

i hope this info/ perspective helps someone in their searches and purchases.

LC

I sold a 2k on ebay over a year ago for $975+ the ride. It looked unused in the box with both speakers. A collector in Tennessee bought it after it had been up for a week. I made sure there were plenty of pics inside and out.
Remember people got a free check and didnt have to pay rent so they didnt care to pay superhawk prices.

i hope my post didn't come across as a "don't pay such and such for a 2000" type of editorial piece.

I only meant to make the point that resale value may not be what people think it is when it comes to a very custom 2000GTL.

the stock ones go for the highest price.

Custom 2000's seem to only hold their value to the people that want the custom work done, and it doesn't seem to translate to a third party buyer from what i have seen.

i will also say that i love custom 2000GTL's, it just seems like people want to either buy a stock one and keep it that way, or buy a stock one and do their own series of mods and upgrades to them.

"you get what the tariff will bear".
LC

I bought one off ebay it cost me $500 with the ride and a little extra to my daughter for ordering it for me. It has the best receive of any of my radios and has extra channels also. It also came with a new Cobra Dynamike model CA-61 amplified base station microphone and 2 new meters. I' m done buying now !

Reactions: Holydvr
As if $300-400 wasn't already an insane price? Why not pay more if it makes you feel good? You are paying mostly for nostalgia, and you really can't put a price on that.
I've been guilty of paying to much for a Madison speaker, but I wanted it. and your right 338, every time I look at my Madison with both speakers I feel good about it (y)

Reactions: whiteastro
I still have one that came with a speaker that I paid around 75.00 for.. But, I have to put it back together!

Older radio collectors with more money are fueling the prices on certain radios. That old Cobra 2000 gets better receive than my new Galaxy DX 2547 and that is important to me because I live in a deep narrow valley which is tough for radio performance to begin with. Some times I wonder why I bother but it is in the Blood and hard to get out. LOL

If you got one for $75.00 I'm happy for you. You better hold on to it and take care of it !

Charging way too much is the only way to make any money on ebunk unless youre getting your items for free. After getting screwed by ebays postal calculator, ebay and finally paypal most times you dont make much for the hassle.

Reactions: Holydvr
I remember when 2000s with only a peak and tune use to sell for $350 to $375 with a good microphone a few years ago. Now the same radio sells for $550 to $625 (n)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated