• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2006 Buick Allure Install

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Hey Everyone (y)

Here is the issue or issues I am having with installing anything on my Buick, Now i've tried a hitch mount with no luck on grounding so returned the expensive mount.

I am very worried about scratching my cars finish, so I need some ideas on ways to mount an antenna, Ive decided to use a 102 Whip instead of my coily antenna as that needs a drilled mount to work properly.

Your good honest positive help is needed - Please no jokers or rude remarks as I want to set it up without hurting my car LOL :laugh: Plus the wife is on me about installing a set up in my ride :mad: So a clean install is best :blink:

Thanks in advance for all your positive help and suggestions and look forward to your professional advice.

Truly
DIZH

P.S. Ive sold most of my linear and radio's, so now I want to start fresh with a new clean set-up - So idea's about Linear's & ways to mount an antenna is or would be awesome ^^ ab v c^^ :mellow: I run a 2510 so any linear with SSB is best.

:pop::pop::pop::pop:

Cold Great Lakes Mobile
North Shore Lake Ontario

I didn't know what an Allure was, so I looked one up:
http://www.tomlinauto.com/_/rsrc/12...uick-allure-cx-02/2006 BUICK ALLURE CX 02.jpg

If you're going to put a 102" whip on, I don't see how you're not going to drill a hole. The car sits pretty low to the ground, so I can't see a frame mount sticking out under the rear bumper. The easiest thing I can see is a trunk mounted base loaded antenna like a Wilson 1000 or 5000, or similar Sirio. Or you could mount a 102" from a mount on the trunk, too. Bad thing is, those type mounts always bend the metal when you mount them (especially on todays thin sheetmetal cars), and the paint usually cracks when you tighten the set screws. Not sure I'm giving you any real answers here!

RT307

2RT307

I already have a Wilson 1000 Mounted on the trunk but dislike the height of the antenna, Now Ive searched for a trunk lip mount for a 102 but nothing strong enough to hold the antenna.

How about a mount drilled into the trailer hitch under the car.? But I can see an issue with grounding same as with the hitch mount.

DIZH

Unfortunately there really is only one way to properly mount a 102" whip, and that is a drilled mount. Optionally you could get a tri-magnet mount, but those will cause more damage in the long run than plugging a few holes and repainting, and will definitely not look clean. As far as clean looks and a 102" whip goes you really only have one option, and you have already dismissed that possibility.

The problem is we are talking about a fairly heavy antenna that will have some serious twisting forces on its base at highway speeds, a dinky mount such as what is used with the Wilson 1000/5000 and other smaller antennas simply won't hold it properly, if at all. This is all before you account for the effects of it hitting low hanging tree branches and such.

The only other realistic option has been talked about, a mount that sticks out from the rear bumper.

The DB

These guys are right. As much as you want a 102" whip and no drilling, it probably won't happen. If you mount it too close to the ground on a hitch guess where the majority of your power is going to go? Mobile antennas work marginally well only if they are in the clear and mounted as high on the vehicle as possible.

With you restrictions I don't see a better choice than a mag mount on the trunk or roof and even that can leave scratches on the paint. Maybe a lip mount of some kind with a base loaded antenna but not a 102" whip.

2RT307

I already have a Wilson 1000 Mounted on the trunk but dislike the height of the antenna, Now Ive searched for a trunk lip mount for a 102 but nothing strong enough to hold the antenna.

How about a mount drilled into the trailer hitch under the car.? But I can see an issue with grounding same as with the hitch mount.

DIZH

Diamond K400 is more than strong enough. I speak from experience of running one with a Little Tarheel II with 72" whip and having it stolen from my car. It bent the metal on my car, the tube on the Tarheel but the adjusters on the mount didn't move at all.

A mount drilled into a trailer hitch will suck. Anything which results in the antenna being masked by the body of the car will suck.

Mount

Hello :)

What I wanted to originally do was to get a decent mount for the hitch and have an extender to bring the antenna higher then the top of the vehicle and then mount the antenna (Like you would find on keydown trucks) :redface:

That Diamond K400 mount might just work, but the 102 might mess it up and plus I own a MR COILY and doubt that mount would hold that.

Keep the idea's coming as they are very helpful

PLEASE REMEMBER - No drilling mounts (Visible) or Mag Mounts :confused:

Hello I will add my 2 cents. What about a fire stick door jamb mount on the side of the trunk? Get a good heavy duty spring. No drilling on the exterior of your car, just two small holes inside the trunk.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.