• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2006 Ford F-150 Install

im not sure i understand you.

are you saying that your radio has two positive wires coming out of the back of it?
please provide as much detail as you can in your answer.
LC

Yes, it is a GeneralHP 40w with a 6pin power cable with 2 positive lines and one negative line. I would like to know if i can just run one 10 gauge wire from the battery to the 2 positive leads from the radio or do i have to run a wire for each wire for the radio from the battery?

cool.

you had me a bit confused for a second.

if it did indeed have two positives going in to the radio, my answer would have been yes, you can just run one wire from the battery.

good luck,
LC

So, I just got the HP40 and it came with a 12 gauge wire with 2 30amp fuses on the leads.
The cable is long enough to run to the battery and would like to try and save some money and time. I would like to just run the power cable to the battery then having to go and buy more wire. Will it be safe to just run the power cable to the battery?

It is helpful to remember that DC will have a current drop over a long piece of wire. But this will depend on the ga too. Larger ga; less drop. So how much peak current does the unit draw and how long is the wire?

Robb was wanting amperage draw. It doesn't matter now, that length of wire will work fine. Just avoid wire chaffing with your run and ensure good fusing at the battery and ground.

Looks like that length will have a little over 3% voltage drop with your supplied numbers.

Last edited:
do not run the power for that radio to the fuse block.
you are asking for noise and computer problems.

run a 10 gauge wire right from the battery positive terminal to the radio.
fuse the wire just a few inches from the battery for fire safety.
(DO NOT OMIT THIS STEP!!!)

run the ground wire right to the vehicle body using the shortest length of wire you can. (under a foot is ideal, two feet is ok)

LC

So, I just got the HP40 and it came with a 12 gauge wire with 2 30amp fuses on the leads.
The cable is long enough to run to the battery and would like to try and save some money and time. I would like to just run the power cable to the battery then having to go and buy more wire. Will it be safe to just run the power cable to the battery?

If the radio has MOSFETs for final transistors; then it shouldn't draw more than 10 amps. If the panel lights on the radio get really dim when transmitting; then it might be starving for current a bit. If it does; then running 10 ga will solve it. But don't run more wire length than you need to, just enough for some comfortable wiggle room at both ends will do. Think that LC is right; because it solves the issue the first time around.

From GI Joes CB Radio/Sales:
**New September 2011. Excellent service, lowest price, repair, warranty, tuning and fast world wide shipping on General Lee Radios. A modulation upgrade is not needed with the General HP40W as it will swing from about a 5w key to 100w audio power on Low with our standard $30 alignment.

No MOSFETs.
Getting 100w out of two 2sc1969 transistors is pure BS of the third kind - if you know what I mean.
Just not possible . . .

**EDIT**

From CBRadiosPlus/Sales:
* 1x1x4 IRF520 MOSFET transistors

If it does put out 100 because it has four MOSFETs; then it will need 10 ga wire - for sure.

Last edited:
You will notice on the sites that sell this radio that in its adverts - it is capable of doing 100w. But that doesn't mean that it will do that 100w right out of the box. More than likely that it will only do the 40w it is advertized for. In which case, 12 ga wire is fine.

IF/when the radio's output power is peaked and this radios is tuned for 100w; then it will naturally draw more than the standard 12 ga wire will handle. Because the wire is less than is needed for 100w output, the radio will only put out as much as the wire will allow.

If you did not get the radio peaked up from whatever shop you bought it from; then the 12 ga wire will probably be just fine. If it has been peaked; then expect that it will put out less with just the 12 ga wire.

MOSFETs are little workhorse devices. One can turn up their potential output power and then they will suddenly go 'snap, crackle, then pop'. Four MOSFETs should put out 100w and stay alive so long as you don't over-modulate the radio or talk for an extended period of time. A bipolar transistor - on the other hand - will have much less power output - comparatively - and only allow a small increase when peaked up.

Best to run a decent antenna and make sure the SWR is the best it can be - too - for all of the same reasons above.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.