• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2019 Cobra 29 Ltd Classic

jimbowilly

Mar 25, 2011
Hi,
Obviously without intention, while performing the receive upgrade to a 2019 Cobra 29 Ltd Classic, I touched the two speaker wires (red & white) together . Oh Boy! Now the meter (no light, nor needle movement) and the onboard speaker are not working. The radio works just fine (except for the meter) using an external speaker plugged into the external speaker jack.
Is there a diode protecting this circuit which I may have blown? Or....?
Please help!
Thanks,
Jimbo

That alone won't produce anything like the symptoms you describe. Those wires don't connect to the meter light, nor to the meter itself. Are you sure a wire didn't touch one lug of the meter?

I see, from the schematic, what you are saying. I also see any of D8, D6, D11, R51 could be the reason the radio's speaker is not working?

First thing I would check is TR23, the 9-Volt regulator transistor. Can't remember if the emitter (output) terminal faces the front or the rear, but both of them should have nearly 9 Volts DC on them. If one or both of them has no voltage, this will shut things down as you desribe.

Reactions: jimbowilly
First thing I would check is TR23, the 9-Volt regulator transistor. Can't remember if the emitter (output) terminal faces the front or the rear, but both of them should have nearly 9 Volts DC on them. If one or both of them has no voltage, this will shut things down as you desribe.

nomadradio, Voltage is exactly the same for all 3 legs of TR23 as the voltage listed for this radio on CBTrick.

Good Morning nomadradio,
With that said. I went ahead and returned this radio back to stock. I'm assuming that the "Receive Upgrade" (Schottky Diode / Transistor) does not work with radios built in 2019...?
Thank you,
Jimbo

Ok.
I just couldn't stop thinking about the radio's speaker not working, and I found the problem.
The internal portion of the external speaker jack has been bent down far enough as to not allow it to spring back into place with the external speaker plug removed. I pushed up on the internal prong of the speaker jack and the onboard speaker worked.
Never give up! Never surrender! Lol!
jimbowilly

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.