• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2M Guy

Jan 31, 2006
Is anyone on it? I don't see any radios that even have it, all multi band radios I see skip from 2M to 70cm.

Hi...

Depending on your area..
Either it is used a lot in some areas..
While other areas have nearly no use on it..

here in the ny/nj metro area there is a lot of people on it..

as far as the radios..
not many all mode radios for it currantly..

the multi mode radios are typiclly older Icom radios..
such as the IC-900 and 901
(that were hf 2,1.25 meters & 70cm bands via moduals)

i forget the Icom dedicated all mode 220 radio
it is a little older and goes from 220-225 mhz all mode
before the days we lost 220 and 221 mhz
but it typiclly sells on Ebay in the $1200 to $1500
a bit much for most (myself included) for a 10 yr old radio
and if i remember it only does 35 watts (maybe 50)

So for now i use Alinco DR-235T (222-225 fm only 35 watts)

It seems unlikly anytime soon any of the manafactures will again make a all mode dedicated 1.25 meter band radio..
since it is mostly from Japan that our radios come from..
it seems the couple of american makers are also not interested in this band (is a shame...i would love to have a all mode 100 watt dedicated 1.25 meter radio)

Later

Check your repeater directory for 222 mhz repeaters and see how many are local to you.
Here in S.E. Pennsylvania there are a number of 220 machines and there is some activity. Some are linked to other machines so they get used more.

I picked up a an Icom IC-38a from QTH.com for a reasonable price , and also got an older Midland 13-513 with a dip switch tone board installed for cheap.

If you wanted to run SSB on 220, you would probably need to get a transverter and run it off a 10 meter radio.

If had the money, I would love to get transverters for my HR-2510.

I am located in central Texas. A number of hams were stating that if there was a 220 repeater in the area they would get on the band. I went to a lot of exspence and work to get a repeater going, it sat there for a year with about two of us on it. I took it down and sold it.

I use the Kenwood THF6a HT which has 220. Around here, there are a lot of repeaters and linked systems on 220. I recently found a 220 20 watt linear at a swap meet for cheap, so that's even better. 220 is a real cool band...It doesn't have nearly the intermod of 2m, but has almost as good propogation properties. I wish there were more people with 220 rigs...

i have both the Alinco DR-235T for at home
and the Kenwood THF6A (works good on 220 but otherwise i dislike it)

would like to have a multi mode 220 radio

I also wish there were more 220 radios out there.
I don't use my 220 radio much because none of my local buds have that capability.

Like I said before, the easiest way to get into 220 SSB is to buy a transverter and run it from your 10 meter radio.
They cost about $395 new, a little less if you assemble it yourself. www.downeastmicrowave.com/

Check out QTH.com for used gear. I have bought from people there and it has worked out, but I know a local CB operator who got ripped off by a ham when he kept the payment and didn't send the radio, so as with all things, try to check the seller out. QTH has a feedback area for the good and the bad.

it is a good band

usally is not hit like the other bands with dummies trying to interfer with repeaters..
probigates as well as 2 meters

Not a popular band, because hams outside the US don't have it and there is little equipment for it.

It does work great if you are in an area that has repeaters. Many areas have linked 220 repeaters, since there is much less usage than 2 meters and you can get the coordination.

I have an Alinco DJ-280TH hand-held, but I think they are obsolete. The new one is a DJ-296, I think. The one I have works fine. From home with a discone antenna I can work a dozen repeaters or so, and have really good coverage operating hand-held.

A am in a ham club that has 13 linked 220 repeaters and they blanket from the southern coast (Santan Barbara south to Mexico) and east to the Colorado River Basin, including Las Vegas.

There is another open linked system called the Condor link, that covers most of the territory from Phoenix to LA and north to Sacramento. www.condor-connection.org

220 antennas are a bit smaller than 2 meter antennas, just as easy to homebrew and you can use the same designs.

Not a popular band, because hams outside the US don't have it and there is little equipment for it.

It does work great if you are in an area that has repeaters.

Dave_W6DPS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.