• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

28.500-28.940 mhz question

deve

Aug 27, 2016
So I bought an RCA 14t302 modified radio thinking it had upper and lower channels but apparently it only has these frequencies in the 10 meter band...so unless I can get all this reversed which was done a long long time ago this radio is useless actually I bought two of them..​

thats in the am portion of the 10 meter band,,, popular mod done to cb s back in the late 70s,,, most were done by changing a crystal out and retuning,, some were done thru pll,,,,putting back in the 11 meter band would reversing the mod done,,, not really worth it,,,

Reactions: deve
thats in the am portion of the 10 meter band,,, popular mod done to cb s back in the late 70s,,, most were done by changing a crystal out and retuning,, some were done thru pll,,,,putting back in the 11 meter band would reversing the mod done,,, not really worth it,,,

The AM portion of 10m is 29.000-29.200 MHz. That radio is set up for the phone portion (SSB) which is 28.300-29.300MHz.

these were old stock unused radios after the mod and put up in the closet. the mod instruction manual that came with it says to install the new Crystal etc.. Can this radio be a candidate for upper and lower channels? If I could find the original crystals? They are brand-new radios, As it stands now I haven't heard a peep on any of the channels in three days nor do I expect to...feeling kind of foolish at this point..

yep capt your right i had to get my book out i was wrong,, it is set up for the old general and advanced ssb band,,,, i think techs only now are allowed up to 28,500,,,,and digital and code below 28.300...

So my main question is about these frequencies, is there anyone talking on them or is it pretty much a wasteland of nothing but noise? since apparently this was a common mod years ago for freebanders I'm assuming most of these guys are up in age and a long moved on... I live in Virginia pretty much center of state and find it very difficult to find a reasonable CB shop that can work on anything old-school, the last shop I stopped at had never even seen a five plug microphone and had no clue how to wire one in.. LOL

since apparently this was a common mod years ago for freebanders I'm assuming most of these guys are up in age and a long moved on... LOL

This isn't a common freebander mod at all and you'd be in deep doodoo operating there without a license. It was common for hams to convert certain model SSB CB radios to the 10 meter band. I used to have one of the Midlands converted to 10 because there were no commercially made 10 meter rigs back then until Radio Shack came out with the HTX-100. Illegal operation above the CB channels usually happens well below the start of the 10 meter ham band, below 28.000.

It used to pretty common when 10 is open for DX stations to operate phone above 28.500, expecially the JA's.

This isn't a common freebander mod at all and you'd be in deep doodoo operating there without a license. It was common for hams to convert certain model SSB CB radios to the 10 meter band. I used to have one of the Midlands converted to 10 because there were no commercially made 10 meter rigs back then until Radio Shack came out with the HTX-100. Illegal operation above the CB channels usually happens well below the start of the 10 meter ham band, below 28.000.

It used to pretty common when 10 is open for DX stations to operate phone above 28.500, expecially the JA's.
So I'm kind of screwed Buying these radios thinking they were like my grant XL with upper channels to the 28MHZ I guess I should've read the add a little more careful..I wished at least there was a little chatter that I can listen to...

So I'm kind of screwed Buying these radios thinking they were like my grant XL with upper channels to the 28MHZ I guess I should've read the add a little more careful..I wished at least there was a little chatter that I can listen to...

You saw it was modified and got excited. That usually means the radio is trashed,

Ok,........ I'll be the first to ask, how much did ya pay...
hide.gif

seriously I was just looking for a good deal that might work for me but I thought they had lower channels and upper channels and didn't really pay attention other than they were brand-new units unused. I opened One of them up and it looks very professionally done and it looks all factory fresh, unlike my grant XL with the toggle switches on top that I've had for a very long time.. I'm going to contact Mike's radio repair he's about two hours away from me and hopefully he may be able to help me... regardless I have a couple of items I need to get repaired and some microphones that need new plugs put on and he seems to be very experienced with all sorts of radio equipment ... I did test these radios with another person and drove about 30 miles and had great reception and the radio seems to echo? I cannot believe the distance these mobile units were getting before Static overcame the signal...but as y'all say it's best not to transmit on these frequencies, don't want the hamsters mad at me...

Well it was $100 per radio shipped
You didn't get screwed.
You simply need to find someone with a license that is looking for a good mobile.

With 10 meters being in the crapper right now, and the frequency range being higher than a Technician Class License Holder can use - the only people that might want it would be someone with a General or higher class license - that is lacking mobile HF equipment.

They aren't going to pay $100 each for an over glorified CB radio, but they might give you $50 each! Even half is still better than nothing at all.

Yes the crystal can be swapped out and the rig realigned, but why bother when you can buy a working CB for $20 at most swapfests.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.