• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

29 tune up

Jul 7, 2013
bucyrus ohio
I just picked up a cobra 29 my first cobra I tuned it up with a swing mod 2 watts d.k swings to about 17 watts is this as good as it gets ? it is a a china 29

Well stock out of the box if you bump the AM carrier to 4 watts and modulate that to 100% that's 16 watts. Might be time to send it to a tech that knows what's up. Just saying.

IIRC, ExitThirteen (forum member/tech) once said that these radios can pop this stock MOSFET final too easily. So going over the ~16 watt mark would push it twards failure. If you did the capacitor/resistor 'swing mod' for this radio, then that is about all you can do. Besides if you run a low drive amp, you really would not want to exceed 12 watts into it anyway or risk frying the amp too.

Again IIRC, if the final should fail, you can put in a IRF520N to replace the original final. Think it is a drop-in replacement but it will need an insulator added. You might get a few more watts out of that; but not without tweaking the output circuit a little bit. Not exactly a newbie thing to accomplish . . .

What kind of watt meter are you using to measure the output? I know that the cheap meters are not as accurate from my experience.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.